Squeaky hardtop window

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

GEEMCB
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Squeaky hardtop window

Post by GEEMCB » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:29 pm

Hi, all

With the delightful :cry: weather recently the hardtop has been adorning my car. I've noticed a collection of squeaks that seem to be coming from around the rear window. I don't want to take the spanner to the dome nuts & tighten things up & end up cracking the damn thing. Any advice on what may be squeaking ? Remedies ?

Regards
Greg
1990 V Special

GEEMCB

Post by GEEMCB » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:56 pm

Well, I think we should club in & buy Nigel E some heating for his study - though the fact that it was too damn cold in there for him to type a response did result in a phone call from Nigel which was great. :D

Anyway - Nigel advised that it may pay to lubricate the sealing rubber around the bottom of the hardtop where it rests on the tonneau cover lip. Also, strapping the soft-top may also help.

Well, I put some silicone lubricant on the sealing rubber & into the catches that locate over the frankenstein bolts. I also put some cloth over the rear tips of the soft top rubbers, as it looked as if they had been rubbing on the inside of the hardtop. Didn't worry about the straps for the soft top as it seemed to be sitting nice & quietly.

Et voila - golden silence (well almost - the induction roar from the CAI was as gratifying as ever 8) ). But nix, nothing, nada, silencio from the hardtop.

It's usually the simple things that work best ....

Regards,
Greg
1990 V Special

Return to “MX5 Discussion”