MX5 Grin

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Bluesgeek
Tentative sideways sliding....

MX5 Grin

Post by Bluesgeek » Sat May 20, 2006 11:45 pm

has just been rekindled.... 'The wife, my darling pride and joy' is buying a new model MX5 on Monday, consequently we got it for the weekend. We popped out for a drive to Kaiaua today to the in-laws. I love those roads. Despite all the hype and rave revues I couldn't believe that any car WITHOUT pop-up headlights and WITH four cup holders could really capture the spirit of the original 1989 model. This was maintained throughout the obligitary parade up to St Helliers for breakfast where I derided it further for

having a car door that was too high for my arm to rest on comfortably when driving,

the footrest being too close to the pedals as I was wearing wide shoes and they caught on it when changing gear,

having 6 gears when only 5 where really needed,

having an on/off switch on the cruise control when we already had set/reset/cancel

not beeping when the car doors were locked/unlocked

not having national radio programmed into the stereo or 'the rock' or anything listenable other than doof-doof music

having 7 speakers and all of them playing doof-doof music

having to press the gearstick down to select reverse

there were more criticism's, obviously the main one being the lack of pop-up headlights...

We had breakfast, I was a bit dissapointed, then we drove out to the folks.

Motorway driving was fine, set the cruise control/reset the cruise control, nice toy. Nice and warm with the top down and I find we don't need to shout at each other (isn't that married life anyway?).

Then we get to the twisty bits....

I started to hoof it and found I couldn't back off. We overtook a 4wd and boat trailer, zip out/pass/zip in on a decent stretch. Bloody hell, that happened faster than I expected.....

From then on I started to smile (anyone who knows me will confirm that I"m a miserable git) and didn't stop smiling until we reached the old dragons place. I couldn't get those tyres to screetch or lose footing - I only gave it about 75% of what I felt comfortable with, I reckon I really could have gone for it without the missus being present!

It reminded me of when I came to NZ and the future missus lent me her 1994 MX for the day, I went out the day after and bought my 1990 :)

The niggles I mentioned above were due to me really not believing it could be as good as the original, but I have to say I'm a convert! I still dislike those aspects - but bloody hell, there is much more I could pick out on the originals that are more than adequately taken care of by the width of my grin :)

My 1990 went the journey last year for practical reasons, playing in a band and needing to shift amplifiers does not help..... so the 4WD was purchased. Now we are a two MX5 family again and all is well in the world :)

Apologies for the waffle, but I haven't stopped grinning yet!

p.s. I was nice enough to let her drive (a little more sedately, but not much!) home[/list]

Anthug
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Anthug » Wed May 24, 2006 8:16 pm

Awesome :!:

Good write up.

Makes we want to go out and try one :D

Anthug

Post by Anthug » Wed May 24, 2006 8:17 pm

alas, it will be a long time be owning one :cry:

EricW
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by EricW » Wed May 24, 2006 9:05 pm

I agree with the niggles and I agree strongly about the winding roads, it is a great car round a corner, but I found it was just too much of a "car" and not enough of a "sports car"

And why does a two seat car need four cup holders?

Eric

Greenracer5
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by Greenracer5 » Thu May 25, 2006 1:01 pm

Shame you didn't keep the D4NGER reg plate matey. I knew it wouldn't be long before you were back in the fold.
Cheers
G
Take it out and play with it.

http://miata.cardomain.com/id/britracinggreen

Greenracer5

Post by Greenracer5 » Thu May 25, 2006 1:05 pm

Eric
2 are cup holders and the other 2 are bottle holders (obviously for soft drinks :wink: )...apparently. :shock: :roll:

Gr5
Take it out and play with it.

http://miata.cardomain.com/id/britracinggreen

Bluesgeek

Post by Bluesgeek » Thu May 25, 2006 10:57 pm

Anthug wrote:alas, it will be a long time be owning one :cry:
be a long time before I can afford one too, we're a seven guitar family at the moment ;) and I believe there is room for 2 or 3 more :D
EricW wrote: I agree with the niggles and I agree strongly about the winding roads, it is a great car round a corner, but I found it was just too much of a "car" and not enough of a "sports car"
I think its the best of both worlds really but to be honest I don't think any car is a sportscar unless its a little bit rough round the edges, has popup headlights and is red, as we all know they go faster....
Greenracer5 wrote:Shame you didn't keep the D4NGER reg plate matey. I knew it wouldn't be long before you were back in the fold.
yep I knew comfortable motoring wouldn't last ;) I just need to get the head sorted, fit the amps, a decent set of speakers etc... and I'm set for the road again :) It's about time we had that beer as well ;)

Return to “MX5 Discussion”