Roll Bars in NZ?

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Ayven
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Roll Bars in NZ?

Post by Ayven » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:33 pm

Hi guys, I'm a prospective MX5 owner trying to do my research before committing and buying one. I intend to use the car as a daily driver and also attend track day events once every month or two, thus I'm looking into roll bars. I'm aware that hard tops are allowed for track days but in the event of an actual roll these fiberglass tops are going to do nothing. I had seen a lot of Hard Dog roll bars, specifically the Ace that looked really nice, however I found out that they won't ship to NZ. What do you guys do in the way of roll bars? I don't want to have to cert one or weld one in, the Hard Dog Ace looked perfect because it's a bolt in unit and from what I've read it won't need a cert (it sits behind the cabin thus counts as a half cage and is ok). Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. Is there any way you can get these roll bars into the country? And if not, does anyone make one locally that will fit the bill? Thanks!

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:32 am

I've installed 3 Track Day rollbars from Dons Autoway services in Hamilton, the last was about 8 months ago so I'm sure they are still making them. They bolt in behind the seats, don't need a cert and are suitable for 'Play day' events (See the install thread I made here: http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewtopic.php ... ns+autoway)

One amendment to those instructions is that you don't need to remove the side trim to save some time.
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

jtsoldier
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by jtsoldier » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:15 pm

FYI, you're right. The Ace doesn't require certification or MSNZ Authority Card. Getting an importer is a right royal pain in the ass though, and will double the price of anything you can get made in NZ.

siren676
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by siren676 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:38 pm

Be wary of getting a rollbar from another country, it may not meet msnz standards
1990 NA6C MX5

Return to “MX5 Discussion”