Cracked dash repair

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

kjtcs
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Cracked dash repair

Post by kjtcs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:58 pm

Spent my weekend replacing my dash in my na, firstly mine was badly damaged so I sourced another one, that was still cracked but nowhere near as bad.

I started with some plastic weld on the crack, then reinforced with stainless mesh, and wrapped the dash and crashpads with carbon fibre look vinyl wrap.

Then proceeded to replace the dash which took 3 hours to fully remove, learning as I went, then about an hour to install the replacement dash. Only to find I routed some wiring in the wrong place so I had to walk away and re do it today.

Got up this morning and in an hour I had the dash back out, re routed wiring, and had everything back together again. Only issue is I plugged in the stereo wrong and it does not go, but where previous owner had replaced the stereo it was nothing but a birds nest anyway so plan on doing a reinstall of the stereo next weekend.

I am really excited as I did all of this on my own while my husband did man stuff in the garage, allowing me to do this all on my own. Feeling really accomplished and the dash has no sign of crack anymore.
1989 NZ New MX5, no power steering, wind up windows, original. Loveit :)

Murray50

Cracked Dash Repair

Post by Murray50 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:10 pm

Cool. I read this to my wife. Hopefully she might get more excited and paint our Mx while I'm at work. In her defence she did sand down and restain the handbrake lever and is planning to do the steering wheel (the outside is mine)
1991 Silver NA 1.6 Manual

Dez
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Cracked dash repair

Post by Dez » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:37 pm

Outstanding! well done. Want a working holiday in the sunbelt of NZ and
do mine while you're here?

[Posted via external email]

kjtcs

Post by kjtcs » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:13 pm

Was loads of fun to do just got to get brace enough to do the exterior it is in need of it. Lovely husband did however give me a fully equipped tool kit in cabinet for Xmas so now I am super excited for the next stage, I will add some pics of the dash once I can work out how :)
1989 NZ New MX5, no power steering, wind up windows, original. Loveit :)

Return to “MX5 Discussion”