Selling the NB for a NA

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

TheStiffler
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Selling the NB for a NA

Post by TheStiffler » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:26 pm

I gave into the devil, and am now looking for a NA. Heard to stay away from the 89',90' and early 91's as they have short nose cranks, which can fail after a dodgy timing belt change. Does anyone know if it is worth it to go for the earlier NAs (Heard the early 1.6 is the nicest engine to drive) or to go for a 94' onward. Problem with the 94' is that they hard to find with average Kms and in a decent condition and colour (Red, Blue etc). Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:25 pm

(Heard the early 1.6 is the nicest engine to drive)
Dubious. I've driven a few 1.8s and a 1.6 and they're quite similar. I wouldn't let this influence my decision.

Unless I had specific reason, I wouldn't pick based on engine. Buy the nicest one you can afford.

If a sporty LSD is important to you, then a 1.8 with the optional Torsen LSD is a good choice. It used to be a fairly affordable retrofit, but prices have gone up a lot in the last couple of years.

The 1.6 viscous LSD is an upgrade over an open diff, they work well in low traction conditions, but they really don't do much until you have a significant difference in wheel speed.

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Selling the NB for a NA

Post by jif » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:15 am

Personally I liked the character of the 1600 as it was designed to be "peaky" whereas the 1800 was designed around a flatter torque delivery. The latter point is from one of the hardcover miata books that's still kicking around here :)

[Posted via external email]

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:46 pm

I dont think the long nose short nose thing is an issue anymore.

just get the tidiest, nicest you can...

Return to “MX5 Discussion”