I HAS A MIATA!

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Loki
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by Loki » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:41 pm

@Keith Jones: I think the main concern RE weight is all the piping behind the dash. I don't think they'd be very important for structural integrity but again I really don't know so it's all useless speculation without any research to back it LOL
I do quite like the shedding you've done in that photo, actually it looks like you may have also ditched all the metal behind it?

If Lexan does have the issue of maintaining shape then I might just look into removing all the motors/ wiring for the windows and keep them permanently up, or throw in an analogue unit provided I can trade with someone.

@Papamoeziz: What about Corflute? only just found out about it's existence within the last hour or so. Purely based on the cost factor it seems to be rather inexpensive compared to other alternatives (excluding doorcards as I've got no clue what they're worth on the market)
Re the weight shedding you do pose a pretty valid point, so perhaps for now i'll just remove all the excess electronics including window controls.
Yet to send off paperwork as I want to try get it as close to "finished" as possible.

Unfortunately i'm in Auckland but the number of times I've had to hit tron recently for car and bike crap is just plain unreal. can easily justify a trip down if it means a good chat!
'90 mx5 - project racecar
'04 Spec B GT legacy - garage queen
'88 CBR250R - bane of my existence

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:47 pm

The main cross brace that supports the dash is still there. It's only relatively light gauge tubing and doesn't weigh much. The weight is in the parts behind the dash - heater unit, aircon etc. The brace also supports the steering column, so if it's taken out a new column support is required.
Attachments
MX5 dash support.jpg
MX5 dash support.jpg (40 KiB) Viewed 5382 times
Behind dash.jpg

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

I HAS A MIATA!

Post by jif » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:13 pm

Hey Loki, I have a pair of door cards going spare. Pm Me if you're interested...
On Aug 16, 2016 2:41 PM, "Loki" <mx5talk@mx5forum.co.nz (mx5talk@mx5forum.co.nz)> wrote:
@Keith Jones: I think the main concern RE weight is all the piping behind the dash. I don't think they'd be very important for structural integrity but again I really don't know so it's all useless speculation without any research to back it LOL
I do quite like the shedding you've done in that photo, actually it looks like you may have also ditched all the metal behind it?

If Lexan does have the issue of maintaining shape then I might just look into removing all the motors/ wiring for the windows and keep them permanently up, or throw in an analogue unit provided I can trade with someone.

@Papamoeziz: What about Corflute? only just found out about it's existence within the last hour or so. Purely based on the cost factor it seems to be rather inexpensive compared to other alternatives (excluding doorcards as I've got no clue what they're worth on the market)
Re the weight shedding you do pose a pretty valid point, so perhaps for now i'll just remove all the excess electronics including window controls.
Yet to send off paperwork as I want to try get it as close to "finished" as possible.

Unfortunately i'm in Auckland but the number of times I've had to hit tron recently for car and bike crap is just plain unreal. can easily justify a trip down if it means a good chat!

------------------------
'90 mx5 - project
'04 Spec B GT legacy - daily
'92 300zx - ex weekend/ track toy

yea... I have a problem

[Posted via external email]

Return to “MX5 Discussion”