New Mx5 owner

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

jsan083
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

New Mx5 owner

Post by jsan083 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:15 pm

Hi guys/girls,

I recently purchased an 1993 mx5 roadster as a daily but not having the greatest start with it.

Before purchase i took it for a drive in the rain and no leaks, then i take it home leave it outside and next morning my seat was wet, passenger seat wet, floor was wet. i assume the seats were wet from door seals so i have sealed up passenger side and drivers side yet still wet drivers door.

also found behind the seats a puddle of water was present but i did a search and unblocked the drain holes.

Is any one on forum able to help out or have ideas how to stop water coming in. i used silicon windscreen sealant and rubber foam stuff from mitre 10 which help stop leaking from passnger side. Once this is sorted i will be a happy mx5 owner, loving the fuel consumption on it though.
Last edited by jsan083 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ransom
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by Ransom » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:34 am

Hello and welcome
Is it leaking from the roof ? or from the top of the drivers window rubbers?
Im battling the same thing ... Fresh newspaper on the drivers seat every day lol
Seems they really need to be garaged or at least a good car cover

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by GRUVBB » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:51 am

There are a few threads on water ingress that others have covered already. Do a search on them and try the tips previously posted. They include determining if water comes through front window and softtop joint. Rear rain rail. Soft top window rubber and poorly adjusted windows. Iif you cant find the threads pull your carpet back and attack these areas with a hose and see where the water comes in from. Start with the lowest points first aswater doesnot really flow upwards. There are also drain holes at rear of front guards as well as behind seatbelt mounts.

jsan083

Post by jsan083 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:18 am

I have searched around, i found the rear drain hiles, havnt found the front ones. Does anyone in Auckland done this before, i cant tell if there is a rain rail at the back, but its wet on the back so im guessing there isnt or is leaking, and the water is flowing down to floor boards from the back.

As for the drivers side leak, it the on in the middle of window where it bends when u open soft top. I hav put the car in garage so that it can dry a lil.

If someone in Auckland could help it would be nice.

Thanks for the welcome! :) hoping things get better from here

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:07 am

Wet seats usually means leaking windows. Check that there is no gaps in the rubber joins as they can move apart, check for cuts and nicks,check that the top of the windows shut parallel and impress upon the rubbers slightly.You will always get a little bit of rain dripping on the seats when you open the window or doors when its raining, and this slowly builds up to wetter seats which obviously is going to be noticed more during winter if you sit in it after a cold damp night where its been sitting outside.

some reading for you..where you may find the window adjustments if needed.

.http://www.mellens.net/mazda/
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:57 am

If you get stuck after trying yorself you can PM me with contact details for some pointers. I stay out West at moment

jsan083

Post by jsan083 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks for replies, i used some sealant for a temp fix but still have water on floor board and behind the seats. Can water flow from rear rain rail down to the floor? And as for windows, can the ne adjusted?

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:18 pm

The rain rail is like a deep groove which runs behind window and channels water to the sides. If it is split or cracked the water comes out and down into the rear of the car. From here ir sloshes under the seats and into the front. They can be removed and fixed with 100 mile per hour tape if need be.
There is a thread already posted on adjusting windows.

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:06 pm

MX5 Discussion [MX5] Hood repair - Auckland
[ Goto pageGoto page: 1, 2 ] Simon Lord

If only you could type this in to the search forum!

Or if someone would be kind enough to show us dummies how to use the search forum?......type in water leak and you get at least the last 200 posts of every topic working backwards from the most recent post!?
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

jsan083

Post by jsan083 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks for the info, sorry im a newbie to this. Gruvbb is kind enough to show me how to remedy the leaks. Thanks guys/girls.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:05 pm

jsan083 wrote:Thanks for the info, sorry im a newbie to this. Gruvbb is kind enough to show me how to remedy the leaks. Thanks guys/girls.
no need to apologize at all mate, we all started somewhere and most of us regulars are happy to help :)

You will find GRUVBB is very helpful and a bloody nice guy too boot :wink:

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:15 pm

MrGrey wrote:
jsan083 wrote:Thanks for the info, sorry im a newbie to this. Gruvbb is kind enough to show me how to remedy the leaks. Thanks guys/girls.
no need to apologize at all mate, we all started somewhere and most of us regulars are happy to help :)

You will find GRUVBB is very helpful and a bloody nice guy too boot :wink:
Dont kick me please

jsan083

Post by jsan083 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:19 pm

Some progress, found the leaks on the rear rain rail pulled carpet and pour water heaps of water coming through mainly on drivers side which explains why passengers side wasnt that wet. Organised time with gruvbb to fix this

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:04 pm

GRUVBB wrote:Dont kick me please
I'd rather not as your compulsion to say "thank you sir, may I have another?" was something I found kinda creepy.

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:14 pm

Post pics of repair job

jsan083

Post by jsan083 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:14 am

Meet gruvbb last night. Good guy, got his thing going on in his mx5 definately something different. He will help me out on the weekend if i cant fix the job myself, il try take pics of progress if i can.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”