Fitting headrest speakers

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

Ken.McNoe
Tentative sideways sliding....

Fitting headrest speakers

Post by Ken.McNoe » Sat May 10, 2014 12:17 pm

Morning all,

My 1997 NZ new didn't come with headrest speakers, so I have managed to buy speakers and the boxes from ebay and wanted to get them installed. Rapid Radio (Auckland CBD) have quoted $276 plus cable of approx $40 (4 hours work) this seems a lot! I'm really not wanting to do it myself, so has anyone got any suggestions, or it this a reasonable price? (they installed my stereo also)
Ken
'I MEDIC"
1.8 1997 Red NA - NZ New

4A-GE
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by 4A-GE » Sat May 10, 2014 12:51 pm

Fuck that. Spose you could buy a set of seats with speakers and modify to suit 4" jobbies, alternately mount them behind? I'm the personification of a DIY disaster and I'd attack something like that meself.

Ken.McNoe

Post by Ken.McNoe » Sat May 10, 2014 12:53 pm

that was exactly the first word that I said when I opened that email! lol
Ken
'I MEDIC"
1.8 1997 Red NA - NZ New

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sat May 10, 2014 1:06 pm

My advice is to ask questions prior to tackling a project. Im sure the consensus on this forum would have been to put the Ebay money towards aftermarket speakers which are of a much higher spec and able to be amplified for better quality performance. The cost for their wire seems over the top. If you get stuck I could assist you if you have a shed to work n. Weather is unpredictable now when planning a time. (I dont have a covered work area at my latest abode.) i have a drum of speaker wire.,i have just upgraded my speakers so familiar with requirements..... I would need some reward but not as much as they are asking. Duty free Bourbon is a favourite of mine when people are travelling back from overseas on a regular basis. :wink: PM me if you want to assist with the job and learn some stuff about your car at the same time.

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Sat May 10, 2014 1:10 pm

could you please do me a favor and open up the headrest (it has a zip on the side and tell us what you see?

do you see precut cavities like in this pic?

or is it solid foam like this pic?

if it has precut cavities you can easily trim it a little to fit some 4" speakers (just be mindful of the speaker depth when buying some) and run some wire down the back inside the lining .... GRUVBB has a thread about his installation in the electrical section of this forum.

if it is solid foam you can still do the same thing, it will just take some more cutting... here is a pic of a conversion someone has done..

In my honest opinion this job is not that difficult and does not justify someone charging an arm and a leg to do, I strongly suggest you DIY it yourself as we are happy to give advice and pointers along the way if you get stuck.

good luck and have fun :)

Ken.McNoe

Post by Ken.McNoe » Sat May 10, 2014 1:23 pm

thanks guys!

Unfortunately I don't have a garage to do it either, so that's problem one! the seats have the cavities in to fit the speakers, they were just never put in!

I'll definitely ask questions prior to doing shit in future lol - I brought the speakers before re-joining the club, didn't even think about it! duh!

I think I'll look into it more when I get back home - 6 days!
Ken
'I MEDIC"
1.8 1997 Red NA - NZ New

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Sat May 10, 2014 1:26 pm

don't sweat it mate, you don't need a garage as its all pretty much done in the car itself :)

if you have the cavities then there is a good chance the wires are there too which would make things convenient and easy :)

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sat May 10, 2014 1:27 pm

Seeing that you dont have a shed. If you want to come to my place I will assist you or you will assist me. Weather permitting. Im in Te Atatu about 500 metres from motorway. I would expect job to take about 2-3 hours max. Will be easy with 2 on hand for fishing the wires through...... PS..... Jim Beam!!!

Ken.McNoe

Post by Ken.McNoe » Sat May 10, 2014 1:32 pm

Thanks Mate! I'll be in touch when I get back!
Ken
'I MEDIC"
1.8 1997 Red NA - NZ New

Return to “MX5 Discussion”