Last Of The Warm Weather Cruises

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Last Of The Warm Weather Cruises

Post by GRUVBB » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:55 am

With winter fast approaching its probably about time we had a country cruise rather than through the city.
Is anyone interested in a cruise next weekend perhaps. Sat 26 April. Sunday will be busy with people returning from the extended holidays. Maybe the week after will see less congestion on the roads. Throw some ideas about.
We could do the run that never eventuated some time back...who knows we may even allow the ODD Audi to participate. Register some interest here and lets get rolling. :arrow:

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:12 am

Im in, will bring one of the cars depending on my cert plate
warrior

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:14 am

sounds fun, if funds permit then count me in :)

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:36 pm

I have been checking the calendar and looks like a good date would be May 3 saturday. This would allow school holidays to finish and the roads to be less congested. It also allows students and MrGrey time to get their funds together.

evel
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by evel » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:48 pm

in for 3rd of may!
'94 S-Special 1800 in BLACK
Flares and 225/45 Semi Slicks.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:27 pm

Sounds great and good call with avoiding the holiday traffic ..... nothing worse than going for a cruise only to be stuck behind a doddering campervan

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:30 pm

3rd may good for me. From where to where?
warrior

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:43 pm

Last time we 'organised' a cruise the plan was to meet at Bombay.... I suggest we meet at Manukau. Head down Mill Rd through Hunua gorge. Can stop at the water fall for a lookskie if any interested. Head along Through Ararimu and out at Mangatawhiri. Can either take the short circuit back through Kaiaua (fish and chip stop optional)or carry on down to Coromandel Peninsular and do a loop circuit around those windy roads..... Thames to Coro then around to Whitianga and back over the Hikuais and home via Kaiaua.
If there are people who need to meet at Bombay the route can travel along Whangarata rd which winds over the ridge line of the Bombays and meets up with the Ararimu Rd. There is a nice straight that does not get much traffic for those that want to drive over 100 km/hr :twisted:
Just a suggestion as we all have a preference for certain roads but this is an enjoyable loop route.
Open for suggestions/criticism. Dont be shy put your thoughts/ideas down and lets see what the consensus is. :?:

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:32 am

Another good road trip is the back route to Raglan from Pukekohe. Plenty of corners suited to bikes and roadsters. :lol: you can either return back along the same route or hit State Highway 1. Another alternate is to stay on the western side of The Waikato up past Naike and up to Mercer.
If the trip needs to be longer you can cut back through Island Block Rd where the old Meremere power station building is. This sort of follows the old overhead coal lift. Following these roads passes along some nice long secluded straights as well. You can come out near Maramarua and either turn left towards Mangatawhiri and return via the Ararimu route as in the above post. Another alternate is to take the back road from The Red Fox tavern and hook onto the Miranda road and follow the time proven run up through Kawakawa Bay.
If you still haven't had enough corners by here an option at Clevedon is to wind around the coast further up through Maraeratei.
I tealise that these routes are more suited to Aucklanders but with some forward planning and input we can meet up with fellow members who live in the upper Waikato area.

fooesboy
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by fooesboy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:39 am

Looks like my car will be back on the road today and officially (WOF & Rego) by Wednesday so count me in!!!!!

3rd is a much better date for me too! I'll look at dragging MattBRG along as well but the last time we where on a car club outing togeather he put it on it's back!! 8)

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:55 am

good to hear! it will be nice to see you again fooesboy :)

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:40 am

Sweet news Fooesboy. Relegate him to navigation duties only. Will good to see you guys again. I guess you guys would prefer the eastern destination as its closer to your 'Hood???

fooesboy

Post by fooesboy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:19 pm

Yea the eastern route would be sweet but I'm keen either way, they both have roads that I have not driven on. Don't know if Matt will be navigating as that role may well be taken by Fooesgirl. (waaaay prettier) :lol:

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:39 am

I'm a maybe if you guys head down into Waikato/Coro :)
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

fooesboy

Post by fooesboy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:09 pm

I suggest that the Waikato guys could meet with you Auckland lot at BP Bombay in the morning, that would be well placed to go in either direction AND have a McMuffin! :D

MattBRG
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by MattBRG » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Negative for me sorry gentleman, got a mates stag-do that weekend so we can just write off that weekend.

GRUVBB ive still got your spark plugs that i got in the states if you still wanted them :D

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:06 pm

I can't do the 3rd of May, have my kids that weekend, but can do the 27th of April.

Would have thought the 27th would have been the better weekend anyway, since school holidays finish on the 4th, you will get the traffic coming back from the Coro

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:44 pm

I thought they finished this week but have just checked and Donnovan Dad is correct. Im easy for any date. It seems like more can make it for the 3rd. At least the saturday will not be as congested as the sunday.
We could always plan both and whoever turns up for each one turns up and has a good time regardless??.

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:46 pm

MattBRG wrote:Negative for me sorry gentleman, got a mates stag-do that weekend so we can just write off that weekend.

GRUVBB ive still got your spark plugs that i got in the states if you still wanted them :D
Yes please dont let the stripper at the stag do get hold of em.... Never to be seen or usable again. :lol:

fooesboy

Post by fooesboy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:28 pm

GRUVBB wrote:
MattBRG wrote:Negative for me sorry gentleman, got a mates stag-do that weekend so we can just write off that weekend.

Yes please dont let the stripper at the stag do get hold of em.... Never to be seen or usable again. :lol:
The same could be said if Matt was to get hold of the stripper.... never to be seen OR usable again!!!! :lol:

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:49 pm

Chuck us down for a maybe on the 3rd.

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Do to a lack of suggestions I say lets do the Coro direction. That way Timmo and The Fooescrew can participate. Lets meet at BP Bombay and bypass the Hunua/Ararimu section. The day will be long enough as it is and this can be done at a later date in conjunction with a Kaiaua Loop.
How about meeting at 9.30? This will give people who live North of the city a chance to get there without having to rush. We can meet up with you Waikato folks along the route. Either Waitakaruru or Thames if that suits. Voice your opinion on what suits. :idea:

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:13 pm

Where are we going mate? BP meet at 9.30 then on to Thames and maybe up the coast a bit? Then the aucklanders go home via kaiaua? Is that right?
My wife said she may bring her car so we will be in for two cars.
warrior

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:16 pm

No so sure if we are going to whitianga as that is a loooooooooooooong way.
warrior

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:19 pm

warrior wrote:Where are we going mate? BP meet at 9.30 then on to Thames and maybe up the coast a bit? Then the aucklanders go home via kaiaua? Is that right?
My wife said she may bring her car so we will be in for two cars.
Thats what I had in mind as a plan if no objections. Maybe we could turn south at Kopu to facilitate the guys from Waikato and Tauranga. Could blast over Hikuwais and either head to Whangamata or up to Whitianga and back over to Coromandel then down to Thames and Kopu again. Any input or other ideas from anyone appreciated.
I took my hardtop off yesterday in anticipation of some sun rays. 8)

Return to “MX5 Discussion”