Spanner day

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:59 pm

Just to confirm....this has been called off at this stage. Until we find a venue.
warrior

Ants
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Ants » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:01 pm

Hi guys, just seen the postponement. :( But never mind, it can't be helped. I still really appreciate that you guys would be prepared to help a mechanical retard such as myself. I'll try to keep track of when it is happening. Best wishes to all.
96 VR-A
Caution: May contain nuts!

evel
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by evel » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:55 pm

Cool postponed, that mean I can help out now that its not on the same day as my sisters wedding :roll:
'94 S-Special 1800 in BLACK
Flares and 225/45 Semi Slicks.

4A-GE
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by 4A-GE » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:41 am

Aye aye guys. My holidays start on the 14th so I'm good for two weeks or so from then.

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:42 am

maximum double posting

SkilletKid

Post by SkilletKid » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:35 pm

4A-GE wrote:maximum double posting

[heavy double posting]

SkilletKid wrote:
4A-GE wrote:maximum double posting

[heavy double posting]
[double posting intensifies]
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

siren676
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by siren676 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:50 pm

I'd volunteer my garage but im still in heaps of trouble with the parents as i walked grease into the house last time i worked on a friends car :lol:
1990 NA6C MX5

Ants
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Ants » Mon May 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Hi guys. I know that a spanner day won't be happening anytime soon due to facility availability, but I need to have a go at doing oil & filter change, as well as changing the gearbox oil sometime soon. Just asking for a bit of advice.
Regarding both oil changes, what are your recommendations for brand/type? Also, should I get an OEM type from Mazda, or would any other type be suitable? Please excuse these basic knowledge questions. I am, how should I say this, technically and mechanically............useless. :oops:
I'm considering going to synthetic for the engine. All advice welcome. Thanks in advance.
96 VR-A

SkilletKid

Post by SkilletKid » Mon May 19, 2014 10:14 pm

The Mazda ones will probably be a bit overpriced for what it's worth. Go to Broomfish on the forum (has a website of the same name) will have the Wix ones which I've used on mine and my brother's cars. Motor Oils seem to be more opinion/which one people have used before - general consensus is any decent 5W-40 or 10W-40 (I use Valvoline's SynPower when it's on sale or their VR1 stuff depending on availability - others recommend Castrol GTX - YMMV).
Not sure how many others do this but I put a bit of the fresh oil on the rubber seal of the oil filter - makes it a piece of piss to remove for the next oil change.

Gearbox oils I've used Redline MT-90 75W-90 in mine - needs a bit of a warm up else the shifts feel notchy - If you don't like that and don't mind spending a tiny bit more my brother has used the Ford Falcon gearbox oil bought from a Ford dealership (will get the part number when I can grab a bottle) - feels really smooth on that stuff, I'll be using it next time I do my gearbox again.

Take care with the gearbox drain plug as it can round it self quite easily. There's a write up in the garage section of miata.net for this. Goodluck =]

(edit; make damn sure which ever gear oil you choose is not GL5 - that shit eats synchros - Our 'boxes like GL-4)
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

Junkwhale

Post by Junkwhale » Tue May 20, 2014 12:23 am

I was just looking for gearbox oil the other day. I believe the ford gearbox oil skilletkid is talking about is Motocraft XT-M5-QS full synthetic 75W-90 - seems to get v good reviews in the US in miatas there.

I had a quick look online and couldn't find an NZ source. If ford dealers stock/can get it that would be awesome.

edit for link, this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-XT-M ... B000NUES82

BRM
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by BRM » Tue May 20, 2014 12:57 am

I don't know how expensive the ford/redline/other stuff is...

But look into Castrol VMX80.

Great stuff at a sharp price.

It's the only stuff we use in E30 class cars and they Rape those poor boxes.

SkilletKid

Post by SkilletKid » Tue May 20, 2014 1:50 am

That's the US part number correct. The part number we used at the local Ford dealership is:

WSD-M2C200-C
75W-90 B0 (or is it BO? the label is kinda odd)

Been a while since we did the gear oil so I can't remember the price. Easy enough to get a quote from them.

And BRM, it's not rape - it's surprise shifting.

BRM
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by BRM » Tue May 20, 2014 2:32 am

haha yeah.

Some of the internals of those things when they came back for rebuilds were quite impressive.

We did a small mod to the 3rd gear fork, to keep it intact, and a couple more things.

I'm keen to try out on a MX5 box.

After those mods, only one that I knew of failed,
Broke the next weak link, which we thought was really quite unbreakable..
or wasn't exactly next in line.

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Tue May 20, 2014 9:16 am

If you are still looking for a venue, I have moved back to my place, it has a 7x9mtr barn on the property, so can have two cars in there at a time (with a bit of a tidy up), I don't have a hoist, but heaps of axle stands.

You guys are welcome to use it if you want to organise a day that fits in with me, only other issue is that I am up in Dairy Flat, which is about 15mins North of the Harbour bridge.

sprsta

Post by sprsta » Tue May 20, 2014 12:58 pm

Donovan wrote:I have moved back to my place

that didn't take long.

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Tue May 20, 2014 1:41 pm

Dairy flat's mean! If you want me to come tidy shit up pre-spanner day I'm all for it, given that on the day I'm free. I mean I'll be pissed if something comes up cuz I haven't gone to a meet yet even.

Really want to change my 'box and diff oil. No idea when either were done last, and not sure how to go about flushing them. Last owner was a bit random with the servicing.
If (and this is a massive IF) I can manage to get my hands on 1800 rotors and retainers I'd love to get them on too. Otherwise I think a brake bleed will also be in order along with new pads.

Have a 1/2" socket set, met and imp, as well as other fairly basic tools and a small ish 60w soldering iron.

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Tue May 20, 2014 8:09 pm

sprsta wrote:
Donovan wrote:I have moved back to my place

that didn't take long.
Long story short, tenant bailed on me owing $3K, and the kids were over the trek from Half Moon bay, so going to rent the other place out instead now.

Ants
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Ants » Sat May 24, 2014 3:20 pm

Thanks for all the advice so far. I’ve been to the local SupercheapAuto, Repco and Warehouse to see what is around, but no sign of Redline. Where can you find this usually? I have seen the Castrol VMX80W (apparently newer version of VMX80?), but has anyone used this in their MX5 gearbox?
For the engine, there were a number of articles from a few years back from people using Castrol Magnatec 10W-40, which all seemed pretty positive. Is this still regarded as good?
Also, is Penrite synthetic oil any good?
I’m buying a Wix oil filter from Broomfish, so hope I’ll be able to get all the other bits and pieces over the next week or so. As before, all advice is hugely appreciated.
96 VR-A

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Sat May 24, 2014 3:40 pm

I used nulon sythetic for my gearbox and diff, great stuff. Bought it off trade me as was much cheaper. If your car is na magatec oil will be fine, and its quite cheap too
warrior

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sat May 24, 2014 4:35 pm

the ford motorcraft manual gbox oil is the best by far. EVERYONE is raving about it...better than redline. takes about a few hunderd kms to fell the effects but havent heard a bad thing about it....

GROUP BUY ANYONE???
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Sat May 24, 2014 4:54 pm

When we moved to the 6 speed in wee1 we had all sorts of problems with shifting...I did heaps of research and asked Repco and all the other suppliers for the 2 "special" oils recommended on Miata Turbo...

I cant remember the brand...maybe amsoil was the flavour of the month at that time. A guy in Christchurch has the agency and could get it but it was expensive (cant quite remember the brand now)..and pre ordered only.

Long story short one person in all the forums I scoured mentioned this oil, available from Supercheap, Penrite Trans Gear Semi Synthetic 75-90 GL-5 and it instantly fixed the shift problems we were having 1-2nd or 2nd to 3rd....was awhile ago so cant remember that either...

On really cold mornings you need to shift a bit slower for 5 minutes in that one transition (2nd - 3rd?) but usually no problem...this car has had a season and a half of racing on the original oil with no issues. YMMV.

SkilletKid

Post by SkilletKid » Sat May 24, 2014 6:32 pm

SLYDIT wrote:the ford motorcraft manual gbox oil is the best by far. EVERYONE is raving about it...better than redline. takes about a few hunderd kms to fell the effects but havent heard a bad thing about it....

GROUP BUY ANYONE???
Yea I find redline as pretty crappy as a daily driving gear oil. Every time I hop into my brother's car with the motorcraft stuff it feels so much better.

I'd be keen on a group buy since it's probably about time I did my gearbox again.

Speaking of the Nulon oil, I know that they do have a gear oil with similar properties as the Motorcraft stuff but do make sure to use the GL-4 one of it. I have a feeling you will find that if you took the drain plug out of a 'box that's had GL-5 you'll find a nice sludge of what used to be part of your synchros (don't ask me how I know this >:[ )

edit: that was the penrite stuff that was GL-5 my bad.

fooesboy
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by fooesboy » Sun May 25, 2014 11:29 am

I would be in for a group buy for some good gearbox oil... I need to fit my new clutch and flywheel, would be a good time to change....

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sun May 25, 2014 12:18 pm

if we do a group buy, count me in as well :)

Ants
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Ants » Sun May 25, 2014 12:29 pm

Think I would be in for a group buy too.
96 VR-A

Return to “MX5 Discussion”