HELP!!!!!

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

HELP!!!!!

Post by warrior » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:49 pm

I finished putting in my wideband a couple of days ago and now the car wont run at all.

The car starts, runs VERY rough and backfires etc, It is more or less undrivable.

This is what I have done to try and solve them problem.

Taken wideband out and gone back to oem sensor, checked plugs, changed spark plug leads, checked for air leaks, disconnected the powercard that runs the fuelling for the supercharger (just in case it was over fuelling), put in another battery.

I have been working on this for two days now and cant get it sorted. It sounds like a air leak to me but I cant find one anywhere.

I don't think the problem had anything to do with the wideband as this has happened once or twice on start up before but did not last for long and I just put it down to a flatish battery.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
warrior

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:41 pm

1) change your plugs even if they look ok.
2)unplug your ecu and plug it back in again to make sure the plugs are seated.make sure the ecu earths are ok and the ecu is bolted to the floor, not just sitting on it.
3)check your fuses. The ecu has at least two power feeds. You may have busted one installing the wideband or even your stereo could be screwing it up.
4)manually move your afm flapper to see if its moving freely.
5) check your hose to the power card unit.

its a possibility that you may have fried a coilpack if you were testing the wideband with the ignition on for long periods...
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:30 pm

One way to check for vacumm leaks :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CPqbaSgcok
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:26 pm

I think I MAY have tracked the problem. I took the plugs out of the engine and tested the coils to to see if there was any spark from the spark plug lead connected to one coil then a plug in and earthing to the block)

It looks like (to me) there is a very poor spark coming from all the coils.

I will test my other mx5 when the wife brings it home to see what that one does but if there is very little spark coming from the coils would it be ALL the coils that are no good or should I look elsewhere?

I spose the easiest thing to do would be to swap the coils over from my other car to this one and see if it works?

Ideas guys????
warrior

Snapfrozen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Snapfrozen » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:18 pm

Check earths, check wires. Could be you shorted something or bumped an earth installing the wideband?

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Ok I feel stupid and happy at the same time now. I am not young youngish but not young and should have know better.

I have spent three days chasing this problem and it was a bad spark plug, it looked perfect but it was not.

A word to the wise, don't just check your plugs when you have a problem, replace them.
:oops:
warrior

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:45 pm

Yup. Had EXACTLY the same issue once... Bad plug
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Discussion”