Chassis repairs

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

SteveC
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Chassis repairs

Post by SteveC » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Hi there everyone, this is my first posting so bear with me!
My wife and I have recently returned to NZ after 15 odds years away (mainly in the UK) and we have bought a 2000 MX5 with us. VTNZ has flagged it up with rust problems on the front chassis rails (which seems to be a common fault on them) and this needs to be sorted before we can register it etc. Has anyone had this issue before and sorted it out or can anyone recommend a good body shop to get this sort of work done. Apparently it may require the engine out and front suspension etc off and possibly new rails or a section of new rail inserted and we are currently getting quotes of around $5k or more. Also a certified inspector to 'ok' the work that gets done as well is needed. Any help or info would be a great help.
We are Auckland based more or less as well.

Cheers
Steve

Snapfrozen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Snapfrozen » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:47 pm

Welcome Steve.

Few quick things.

1. Www.lvvta.org.nz is our certifiers website. I'd recommend going there, finding a certifier and having a chat to them I've used Clint field and Neil Fraser before and happy with both.

2. Look into whether it's worth repairing or buying a rolling chassis. You might fund a rust free nb with a blown engine or similar.

3. I'd say 5k is excessive but I'd be expecting a few grand easily. Grant at gt refinishers is amazing and very reasonably priced. You could give him a buzz and have a chat. Got any photos of the rust? If your front rails have rust, the body might have more. We don't get rust issues here as bad as the UK as we dont salt our roads, though living by the ocean can do that for you.

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:28 pm

you will need a repair cert not a low volume cert for the repairs
Here is a list of repair certifiers throughout the country.
http://www.vsf.org.nz/vsf-directory#member_search
i would recommend Bob Kistemaker if you are in auckland. we use him alot.

SteveC
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by SteveC » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi Guys, thanks alot for the info. Will look at those links and start calling a few people.

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:20 pm

When I did my car Visco in Henderson [not recommended by the way] said due to the surface rust below the brake reservoir that was caused by brake fluid I needed to have a structural inspection. So after protesting about paying them to get the guy out they wilted and gave me the name of the structural guy so I went to him direct.
When he looked at it he laughed and said "what rust!" and gave me a certificate.
By doing it this way I didn't need to do any repairs and saved $231.00.

It was awhile ago but you are willing to give him a call...VRC LTD 0272288126 and he will come to you if you have access to a hoist otherwise its a trip to almost Helensville.

Good luck
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:08 pm

WideOpenThrottle wrote:When I did my car Visco in Henderson [not recommended by the way] said due to the surface rust below the brake reservoir that was caused by brake fluid I needed to have a structural inspection.
I have the same thing except its just surface rust, if even that, its just metal thats gone a rusty colour, still solid as anything but I need to get onto painting it so it doesn't get worse.

Thankfully VTNZ Westgate have their heads screwed on right and haven't done me for any bullsh*t like a certain west auckland wof shop

Toolbox
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Toolbox » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:15 pm

This is a common problem with overseas cars where they salt the roads, Mazda did a quick fix on the chassis rails to comply with the new front impact laws by inserting one rail inside the other. Moisture, salt gets in between the two rails and causes rust. It is a Major job to repair this. Search MX5 Chassis Rust. Sorry I cannt be any other help. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I didn't make a mistake. I gave you a observation test and you JUST passed.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”