Diffs, et cetera

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:49 pm

The early MX5's did not have fuel lights, but a guy in the UK makes aftermarket kits you can buy that add this functionality

http://www.binarypunk.co.uk/mx5.html

To be honest, I personally feel that its not really necessary but if you wanted one, they are available :)

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:58 pm

4A-GE wrote:Went out and drove a couple today. Probably not ideal diff thread material but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to live with the short gearbox. Even going up and down the road is fun in these things. No cup holders though. :? Also where's the fuel light?
Nb2.5 interior swap gives you cup holders 8) just fill up before 400 km and you should be safe. Mind you I think my car used to get 500ish when I first got it. If you wait for the light I hope you have a spare reserve tank sitting in the boot :lol:

NicF
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by NicF » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:09 am

My Mx has a cupholder. She provides extra benefits too :D
99 NB MX5
91 NA MX5
92 B2600 offroad
Because RWD is ALWAYS more fun

4A-GE
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by 4A-GE » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:15 am

No fuel light is guna annoy me. The kit will probably be the first thing I buy. :lol:
I modified the ashtray thing in my 924 to ... Well, not quite be a cup holder cuz the torque tube was RIGHT underneath the damn thing. Making one shouldn't be an issue.

This is all really exciting. Now I need someone to buy my car.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:32 am

I totally understand how much we rely/appreciate features that appear as standard on later model cars. For me, it was central locking I really missed (alarm & central locking were one of my first mods to my car when I got it)

bgnz
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by bgnz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:41 pm

GRUVBB wrote:
4A-GE wrote:Went out and drove a couple today. Probably not ideal diff thread material but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to live with the short gearbox. Even going up and down the road is fun in these things. No cup holders though. :? Also where's the fuel light?
Bluey The MX5 has a cupholder. :lol:
I just wedge the stubby or can between the passenger seat and the rear of the middle console
^ This! I moved to an MR2 for awhile and thats got NOWHERE to wedge a cup in :(

Snapfrozen

Post by Snapfrozen » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:41 pm

I use a sippy bottle.. Logic in my car is if I had cupholders, everything in the cup would be all over the cabin the way I drive...

They're certainly fun cars. I would say I enjoy driving mine more than my race car ;)

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:37 pm

Snapfrozen wrote:I use a sippy bottle.. Logic in my car is if I had cupholders, everything in the cup would be all over the cabin the way I drive...

They're certainly fun cars. I would say I enjoy driving mine more than my race car ;)
At least cruising down the motorway at 3400 rpm you can swig alcohol out of the sippy bottle while passing the police who will be tailing the OLD TROLOL CAR without attracting their attention. :wink:

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:44 pm

GRUVBB wrote:
Snapfrozen wrote:I use a sippy bottle.. Logic in my car is if I had cupholders, everything in the cup would be all over the cabin the way I drive...

At least cruising down the motorway at 3400 rpm you can swig alcohol out of the sippy bottle while passing the police who will be tailing the OLD TROLOL CAR without attracting their attention. :wink:
Not that I'd know from experience or anything... But beer in those sipper bottles pops them open from the carbonation. Wine on the otherhand... :roll:

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:09 pm

Good to see we're all friends here. Rewrote my car's ad and am combing TM daily. Nice silver one's popped up in Dunedin, but that's the hell of it I guess. :x

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:56 pm

LAST CHANCE!!!!! Bluey The MX5 Dollar reserve auction closing at 8 pm tonight on Trade Me. .... Excuse my Spamming but can not be accused of not offering to our Friendly Community as well. :lol:

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:45 pm

dont want to be hating all over your posts but in the 12 years ive owned my mx5, ive never needed a fuel warning light....theres a fuel gauge for a reason.... when it gets close to "E" time to fill up. :)
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:42 pm

SLYDIT wrote:dont want to be hating all over your posts but in the 12 years ive owned my mx5, ive never needed a fuel warning light....theres a fuel gauge for a reason.... when it gets close to "E" time to fill up. :)
Nah I getcha, it's nice to have though.

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:06 pm

SLYDIT wrote:dont want to be hating all over your posts but in the 12 years ive owned my mx5, ive never needed a fuel warning light....theres a fuel gauge for a reason.... when it gets close to "E" time to fill up. :)
The needle moves slowly so just put more gas in when its near the E as SLYDIT has indicated.... If you run out E stands for EGGHEAD... Watch your trip meter and you know when you are approaching the Danger Zone. I have never needed one either. I havent run out of gas since I was a student. Thats when 50cents would last all night cruising....(slowly in a BMC car) :lol:

Bluey The MX5 has sold at auction....Went for $2851.... That will buy some gas for GRUVBB on the summer cruise next weekend. 8)

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:24 pm

GRUVBB wrote: The needle moves slowly so just put more gas in when its near the E as SLYDIT has indicated.... If you run out E stands for EGGHEAD... Watch your trip meter and you know when you are approaching the Danger Zone.
Never run a car outta gas myself. What is the danger zone?

siren676

Post by siren676 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:32 pm

I've never let either of my cars hit E, mx5's gauge hit it yesterday but i was throwing it around so the fuel was nowhere near the sensor :lol:
1990 NA6C MX5

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:10 pm

The danger zone is when the engine starts intermittently cutting out as you starve it of fuel.

I had this happen once in my MX5, I was about 20 metres from the petrol station, but on the wrong side of the planted median strip ;) If you don't slosh the fuel around too much you're all good.

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:11 pm

4A-GE wrote:
GRUVBB wrote: The needle moves slowly so just put more gas in when its near the E as SLYDIT has indicated.... If you run out E stands for EGGHEAD... Watch your trip meter and you know when you are approaching the Danger Zone.
Never run a car outta gas myself. What is the danger zone?
Middle of the night.... No gas.. Car stops.... Look out mwindow and you are in some dodgy neighbourhood.

My needle gets real close to going below E but has not run out yet. Watch the trip metre. Yu will get used to it. Better still keep gas in to improve gravity on back wheels

Simonmx5
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Simonmx5 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:46 am

I've filled my car up when the needle was sitting just below the E line and it took 39 liters. I think they have a 42 liter tank so that was cutting it pretty close. Usually takes 38 liters to fill when the needle is on E.

You should try owning an old motorbike, they don't even have a fuel gauge!

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:59 am

Simonmx5 wrote:I've filled my car up when the needle was sitting just below the E line and it took 39 liters. I think they have a 42 liter tank so that was cutting it pretty close. Usually takes 38 liters to fill when the needle is on E.

Don't tempt me dude, you've got no idea how much I want a bike :lol: A quick google reveals the NA6's have a 45 litre tank.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:37 am

Simonmx5 wrote:I've filled my car up when the needle was sitting just below the E line and it took 39 liters. I think they have a 42 liter tank so that was cutting it pretty close. Usually takes 38 liters to fill when the needle is on E.

But they do have reserve tanks which are super handy unless you leave it on reserve when you fill up :shock: Thankfully it wasn't very far to push to a petrol station unlike the time I had to push the nsr down K Road (at least it's flat)...

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:38 am

4A-GE wrote:Don't tempt me dude, you've got no idea how much I want a bike :lol: A quick google reveals the NA6's have a 45 litre tank.
You should get one :D The weather is perfect!

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:05 pm

Turns out I can't post reaction images just yet, so try to imagine a partly clueless student looking sort of amused and disappointed at the same time.

Simonmx5
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Simonmx5 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:12 pm

4A-GE wrote:Turns out I can't post reaction images just yet, so try to imagine a partly clueless student looking sort of amused and disappointed at the same time.
Everyone can post images by using a image host such as imgur or imageshack. This also takes a bit of a load off the forums.

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:44 pm

I haven't been a member long enough. :cry:

Return to “MX5 Discussion”