Law Enforcement

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

chris
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Law Enforcement

Post by chris » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:50 am

Hi guys,

Most of you are all certified and whatnot, however there are some that have their cert on a list of things to do..

Just a heads up, more attention has been on MX5s recently with two being stopped and (yellow?) stickered on the side of the Mway..
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6
3 X Mazda MX5 (1989, 1990, 1991)

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Re: Law Enforcement

Post by Skilfil » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:25 pm

chris wrote:Hi guys,

Most of you are all certified and whatnot, however there are some that have their cert on a list of things to do..

Just a heads up, more attention has been on MX5s recently with two being stopped and (yellow?) stickered on the side of the Mway..
Yellow doesn't mean anything bad, its a sign for passing patrol that the vehicle has been checked and its fine. Most likely just broken down.

chris

Post by chris » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Two in a week...

Either way it's a good reminder to check rego, wof and cert (if you need to)
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

TehAshleigh
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by TehAshleigh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:58 pm

Yeah, a yellow sticker means that its been dealt with and uploaded to records by police. If its on the side of the motorway it would have just been that the owners car had stopped running for whatever reason and is still deemed as safe to drive. It also means a towie cant come and take it until its been there for 48 hours.
And yeah, na dont drive around without a cert haha. Personally ive been pulled over a few times for no reason (always on the shore?! never anywhere else...) but only at night. Happened not long ago driving kieran home. The cop even said "oh your car looks pretty low, is this standard?" :shock:

haha.

Furai

Post by Furai » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Thats why my car looks stock and doesnt have anything shiney or attention grabbing. Makes slipping through that much easier.

As Ash said yellow isnt anything bad. :wink:

chris

Post by chris » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:59 pm

As it has been said three times now and I have already acknowledged it once. Thank you for clearing that up.

It's still a PITA if you get caught uncerted. Just a heads up.
1 X Primera
2 X Silvia
1 X BMW E30
1 X Audi A6

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:03 pm

speaking as an owner who has gone along the 'ricer' route, I can testify how having a stock looking mx5 has its benefits. About 4 months ago I had some of the local cops follow me around town for over half an hour. Amusingly I pissed them off by pulling over and signalling them to stop and then asking them if they felt like macca's or subway for lunch as I was about to get a bite to eat and considering they were my tail I thought it considerate to ask for their input for what they might like for lunch.

Oddly enough they drove off in a huff after checking the legality of my ride (I keep everything legal beagle) and I haven't had a second glace from the local cops since. :wink:

dylann

Post by dylann » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Anyone know the fine for uncertified coils and cost to get a green sticker removed?

Furai

Post by Furai » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:46 pm

From memory you have to get a VTNZ WOF and fix all of the offending modifications. I dont know the fine for uncerted coilovers though.

BRM
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by BRM » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:05 pm

Wouldn't it just be the standard $200 for not having a warrentable car?

What's the diff between pink and green?
I forgot.

dylann

Post by dylann » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Pink means not safe to drive, as in you can only drive it home and that's it. Sometimes you aren't even allowed to drive home.

Green is just unwarrantable, allowed to drive to and from workshops etc, depends what conditions the cops give you on it i think

authentic
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by authentic » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Yeah well recently I have noticed just how much more attention dished, low offset wheels and a low ride height attract the police. I haven't been pulled up yet, but I've had a couple mufti cars jump on the brakes and pull a U-turn as soon as they passed me. Both times during the heavy 3pm school traffic, and they never managed to get past the vehicles behind me/in front of them :lol:.

I'm all certed and legal, so the cops would have probably been all good with it, except I was driving to the gym and my pre-workout was kicking in so I didn't have time for a chat!

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:49 pm

I prefer for my car not to draw that kind of attention.

The MX-5 seems to be gaining some popularity with younger "car enthusiasts" so I suspect more attention from the cops and thieves will be inevitable.

authentic

Post by authentic » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:52 pm

Well when you like to modify for appearance its difficult to not draw attention. Stay legal, drive responsibly and park in safe areas and you shouldn't have any troubles.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”