style/roll bar mounting points

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

style/roll bar mounting points

Post by MrGrey » Wed May 15, 2013 10:26 pm

I am looking at a homemade stylebar/cabin brace and was wondering about the design shown in this pic:

it appears (to me) that the bottom part of the brace is a big D shape which would give good support to the two bars that protrude backwards to brace on to.

the front of the support has 4 bolting points (two in the center and the seatbelt pillars) so what I am wondering is how is the back bolted?

are there mounting points for bolts hidden away there? I am a bit unsure of what areas are safe as the petrol tank is under the parcel shelf.

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Roll bars

Post by GRUVBB » Wed May 15, 2013 10:58 pm

Mine are chrome and to my shock only mount at seatbelt anchor point. Bear in mind the wall thickness of the tube. This will be a big factor in the overall strength of the bar. I suspect mine could be a generic bar designe to fit various vehicles. They do however followcontour of seats. They have a large mounting plate at anchor point . The mounting plate overhangs seat belt anchor point quite a bit. My first thought when I saw it was that this plate was that size so as to fit a multitude of mounting points. I would attach a pic but that's another story. I really like the look of the chrome. Styley as.... I recall thinking that they looked like about 60% of my original purchase price. Helped clinch the sale I my mind.

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Wed May 15, 2013 11:37 pm

Mandrel form bends or rolled bends have a much superior finish to them compared with a clamp formed bend....stops creasing at the beginning of the stretch point. Tighter the bend the more stretch.the excess has to go somewhere.... Life as an Industrial Electrician in previous jobs saw me working on many different industrial machines and processes....helped me get my Amateur Blow Arse. badge on the Scout Blanket also. :lol:

WideOpenThrottle

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Thu May 16, 2013 7:58 am

MrGrey wrote "so what I am wondering is how is the back bolted?"

Pity it didnt show pics...then we would all know!
I could guess like we all could!
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

authentic
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by authentic » Thu May 16, 2013 8:18 am

I'll probably be selling the style bars that I have in mine soon if you're interested.

siren676

Post by siren676 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:37 am

That bar looks to be the same design as mine just slightly taller, it probably just mounts to the parcel tray.
1990 NA6C MX5

Mr. Shine

Post by Mr. Shine » Thu May 16, 2013 12:50 pm

Wouldn't bother with a style bar. Suspect that just mounts to the parcel tray.

Mr Revhead
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by Mr Revhead » Sat May 18, 2013 6:49 pm

My GF was talking to her doc who rolled his MX5 and swears his roll bar (proper one not a style bar) saved his life she is getting insistent on wanting one. He put it upside down and the A pillars collapsed.

That pic above of the hoop style one looks like they have to keep the window zipped uo in the top? Isn't that a big no no?

Any way I'm going to go by some local cage builders and see about getting a proper twin hoop roll bar made up.
My gf has a cooler car than me :(

GRUVBB

Roll bars

Post by GRUVBB » Sat May 18, 2013 8:55 pm

It's great how we read a comment and it gets us thinking or scuttling of to the man cave shed to check our own jalopies..... Is a style bar a particular brand or simply a reference to something put on mainly for aesthetics... I checked mine and it is not chrome but 50mm polished stainless judging by the size of the weld puddles. I'm not a metallurgist... They still look superb especially when the sun reflects off them. They anchor at the seatbelt points and brace back to the rear parcel tray with a couple of square blank plates. These are not bolted or drilled to anything.... Thinking now that I will investigate further to strengthen beneath them. At the very least it provides two dimensional bracing to the hoops over my scone which is a lot more reassuring than a single cluster of hoops. PM if you want to see mine MrGrey or others and I can email pics.

Euen

Post by Euen » Sat May 18, 2013 9:34 pm

Style bars on MX5s were once supposedly referred to by a Motorsport NZ official as "heated towel rails". They probably give about as much protection in a roll-over.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sat May 18, 2013 9:44 pm

style bars are basically there only for aesthetics whilst roll bars serve an actual protective role.

basically, if its just loops with little bracing then its a stylebar while if it has bracing and mounts at triangular or square points on the horizontal plane then its a roll bar. (I hope that made sense)

to me, if the piping the the image I linked is thick (strong) piping and the welds are good strong welds then due to the 2 rear angled braces (which makes 4 attachment points on the horizontal plane) then it is a roll bar because it could help protect you if you roll the car while a style bar has the risk of acting like a mousetrap.

I don't really consider the image I linked as a 'true' rollbar because the 2 loops could potentially roll inwards and this bar attached to the pillars while the best rollbars (to my knowledge) are affixed to the floor.
Last edited by MrGrey on Sat May 18, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sat May 18, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks MRGrey.... Now I'm unsure if I have roll protection or bling factor.... Instead of doubling the recommended entry speed into corners I think I will double and subtract 10% as a precaution until such time as I brace the rear supports through the boot

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sat May 18, 2013 9:57 pm

MX5's have a low center of gravity designed to make them difficult to roll. I would recommend a true rollcage if you do track days and so forth, but for the average driver I don't really consider it an issue.

If you drive to the conditions then you will be safe as houses :)

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sat May 18, 2013 10:02 pm

Hhhmmmnnn...... I saw a house on fire the other day... Looked like a safe fire though!!!!.... Just a road hack at the moment till travelling the coromandel. Will do the wheel lifting on motorcross not Mx5

Return to “MX5 Discussion”