overheating

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

waywen
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

overheating

Post by waywen » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:31 am

i have an mx5 that i have recently purchased the problem is running around the temerature is fine ,but when i go out on the open road the temerature increases dramtically.i have had the water pump replaced and thermostat replaced ...the dealer has had the radiator cleaned ....but i still have the same problem can anyone help

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:48 am

I had simialr issues with my number plate being in front of the radiator opening....

Maybe trying with it off or relocated could be a worthy test, if it is in that position.......

I would also ensure you have the pastic undertray installed. From my research, some cars dont respond well to this not being there....I removed mine and made an aluminium undetray so I have a spare you could borrow, possibly have.

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:02 am

Also check your passenger side radiator fan goes on although when mine died, I found my car would overheat around town and be fine on the motorway.

Sounds like you have your number plate across the opening

waywen
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by waywen » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:27 am

thank you Mad kiwi that seems to fix the problem

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:52 pm

good to hear, I hope it stays fixed so you can really enjoy your new toy without worrying about mechanical issues :)

and welcome to the forums!

Toolbox
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Toolbox » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:41 pm

If you have a problem with overheating turn on the air con and both fans should start and it will bring the temperature down, but do have it looked at as soon as possible as a engine rebuild is not cheap.
I didn't make a mistake. I gave you a observation test and you JUST passed.

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:06 pm

Also check the small radiator under the dash. These can block up and reduce the flow as well...

tomtikki
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by tomtikki » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Growler wrote:Also check the small radiator under the dash. These can block up and reduce the flow as well...
Yeah that's a good thing to check, just undo the pipes in the engine bay at the firewall & give it a flush through.
-hope it's not that though, coz you have to pull the whole dash out to remove the heater matrix!
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

brooke5
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by brooke5 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Mad Kiwi wrote:I had simialr issues with my number plate being in front of the radiator opening....

Maybe trying with it off or relocated could be a worthy test, if it is in that position.......

I would also ensure you have the pastic undertray installed. From my research, some cars dont respond well to this not being there....I removed mine and made an aluminium undetray so I have a spare you could borrow, possibly have.
I don't have my plastic drip tray installed and have never had any heat issues, and that includes some fairly hard driving...
'89 JDM NA6 - Stock-ish for now
'96 Celica - Because DD

Growler

Post by Growler » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:19 pm

tomtikki wrote:
Growler wrote:Also check the small radiator under the dash. These can block up and reduce the flow as well...
Yeah that's a good thing to check, just undo the pipes in the engine bay at the firewall & give it a flush through.
-hope it's not that though, coz you have to pull the whole dash out to remove the heater matrix!
Be very careful removing the hoses. The pipes going onto the firewall are aluminimum and are very soft!

Return to “MX5 Discussion”