LSDs for NA6, hard to come by?

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

sparkle
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

LSDs for NA6, hard to come by?

Post by sparkle » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:22 pm

Hiya guys,
looking into buying a NA6 and want to know what LSD options are available in NZ.
Ive heard that if you get a 1800 rear diff housing and axles, a FC rx7 LSD should bolt in, is this true?
Obviously they seem to be a lot easier to come by.
It seems very hard to find a 1800 diff housing, so is it a bolt in affair to get the RX7 housing into the NA6?

Also are there any bolt in LSDs that are avail new in NZ?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm

A lot of information on LSDs for the MX5 is available here.

http://members.aol.com/solomiata/MiataVLSD.html

You can get the original Mazda LSD unit from your dealer but it is not cheap (but I don't think the aftermarket ones are cheap either). I have seen Cusco LSDs advertised on Trademe recently. If you are going the RX7 LSD route, I think that you will have to transfer the RX7 assembly into a MX5 head unit.

If you are looking for a 1.8 rear end, check with Ross at MX5Mart or Brownie at Mazline.

Cheers
Euen
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:13 pm

Only the S3/S4 non-turbo RX7 diffs will fit the the 1800 MX5 casing, and they are as rare as hen's teeth in NZ as very few cars were ever imported.

As the Solomiata article says, you can fit the turbo diff as a unit but it involves a fair bit of modification the PPF and other bits. If you want to have a go I've got a good one going cheap.

I've just installed a Kaaz LSD in my car for racing. It is great but I wouldn't recommend it for road use.

Cheers

Keith

broomfish
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

I thought our car had an LSD

Post by broomfish » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:26 pm

We have an NA8C with auto trans. When we first got it we went for a run round the back roads of Kumeu (aka "the Kumeu run") when doing a U turn at a T junction i thought i would give the wife a bit of a thrill by lighting up the inside tyre, when half way around the thing bit and we ended up facing back the way we had started. i suspected it might have an LSD as standard, or maybe this is normal for the non LSD model?
I havent jacked the car up to check which way the wheels turn to confirm or not what it acutally has

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Re: I thought our car had an LSD

Post by zorruno » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:12 pm

broomfish wrote: i suspected it might have an LSD as standard, or maybe this is normal for the non LSD model?
Do you know what model your import Roadster is? Should be on the door plate. Some of the imports will have a Torsen diff as standard. This should tell you what is standard on your model:
http://www.mx5club.org.nz/info/japan_models/
broomfish wrote: I havent jacked the car up to check which way the wheels turn to confirm or not what it acutally has
This is not a conclusive test for the torsen apparently. Randy Stocker's site should have some better methods to find out what diff you have, or someone other than me here will know I'm sure...
(z)

Fletch
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Fletch » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:00 pm

The following is true for USA market cars... I would assume, but cannot guarantee that it applies to all....

No Automatic Miata/MX-5 left the factory with an LSD.

Fletch.
Red '90. Many n/a mods and Link ECU

agent99
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by agent99 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:59 am

We have a 99 special auto that has a lsd fitted from the factory. But as it is breathed on by Mazda speed it may have been done with their input. It most definitely works as it should which confirms it for me. There are (or was !) 200 of these built.
Would you believe a small Ferrari, then how about a little red Corvette, well what about a classic red mx5.

Return to “MX5 Discussion”