thin bumpy country roads

Discussion about MX5s, Roadsters & Miatas, not directly fitting into one of the categories below. Please keep it on topic.

Moderators: LilRay.Sun, Furai, Growler, zorruno, jif

spotz
Tentative sideways sliding....

thin bumpy country roads

Post by spotz » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:50 pm

Earlier this week I "had" to travel from Karori to Makara Beach. Just to see how well my NB went around corners :wink: .

It did that VERY well :D :D .

BUT, due to parts of the road only being the width of 2 MX5's and a lot of blind corners I wasn't able to use the lines I wanted. This wouldn't have been a problem, except for subsidence & bumps from tree roots. The car kept bottoming out :( . Even when trying to be careful some bumps appeared out of "nowhere". The car being lowered no doubt didn't help. Which leaves me wondering how a standard height NB would cope? Does anyone know?
David

petercristina

thin bumpy country roads

Post by petercristina » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:21 am

Hi, we often drive that road in a NA . Do push it around the corners and definitely don't bottom out on the bumps. Have you kept driving all the way to Johnstonville?
Cheers,
Peter
Peter Garrity
Wellington

spotz

thin bumpy country roads

Post by spotz » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:24 pm

I haven't driven all the way to J'ville. Maybe between xmas & the new year. I want to visit the end of the valley road.

The worst piece of road was from the turnoff to the beach to Makara village. With the second worst from Makara village to the turnoff to the beach.

Rest of the road was purrfect :D
David

MN
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by MN » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:18 pm

This road used to be used by the Targa when it came to Wellington, well the J'ville to Karori section.
cheers,

Mark

jamesg
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by jamesg » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:29 pm

I too have 'had' to drive that road a few times, my (factory standard) NB has no trouble with the height
1998 NB RS Special, 1.8 6-speed, classic red

spotz

thin bumpy country roads

Post by spotz » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:03 pm

I priced getting mine raised to standard height earlier today. It was almost $3500 ( excluding the club discount ), with new genuine parts. Seems almost worthwhile, considering that the car has almost done 100,000km. I'm going to have to find out how far the suspension can be expected to last.
David

Return to “MX5 Discussion”