Tappets?

Archives of Posts to the NZ MX5 List back in 2003
krice

Tappets?

Post by krice » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:33 pm

My car develops 'very' noisy tappets when it gets hot so I desperately need it looked at. Can anyone advise a good mechanic around the central city who is knowledgeable on MX5's? Could go further afield but I work smack in the middle of the city.
Thanks

rotarypower

Tappets?

Post by rotarypower » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:41 pm

it probably only needs a good oil change and new filter bring it to rotary power ltd on the shore ill do it while you wait ph 4435762 cheers glenn munro

krice@xtra.co.nz wrote:

[...]

lou Girardin

Tappets?

Post by lou Girardin » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:26 pm

Change the oil and filter very soon!
Lou

jeff

Tappets?

Post by jeff » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:30 pm

City Garage (behind Real Groovy records) is pretty good. Mention you're from the club :)

You may also want to check your oil level and/or try using a thicker oil ... an engine oil flush product may improve things by de-gunking your engine some too.

Hope that helps!

From Kleo.Zois@telecom.co.nz Fri Apr 27 16:49:28 2007
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: RE: New battery for my MX5
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:20:33 +1300
Thread-Topic: New battery for my MX5
Thread-Index: AcOnNT7Jo0PpRK0pRWeXkJz/15s9GAAkeevwABC4VbA=
To: MX5List <mx5list@mx5club.org.nz>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Precedence: list
Message-ID: <HOCja.A.DfF.LIYMGB@L733>

What I know is...
Repco had no off the shelf batteries available for me... infact the only sealed battery they stock is a vortex one for $350-ish.
With my mx5 club card my new battery cost $210 inclusive from the Mazda dealer on Wairau Road about 2 months ago.

I highly recommend them... Aparently my older battery wasn't factory spec and would not be insured if something happened to it.

Also, I was told with gel batteries, you have to leave them recharging with a low current for a long period of time. I sold my old battery and the wrecker got it alive again. I guess you just have to know what you're doing.

From Michael_VanZoggel@bcait.com.au Fri Apr 27 16:49:35 2007
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Subject: RE: New battery for my MX5
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:45:29 +1100
Thread-Topic: New battery for my MX5
Thread-Index: AcOnNT7Jo0PpRK0pRWeXkJz/15s9GAAkeevwABC4VbAAAQdKgA==
From: "Michael Van Zoggel" <Michael_VanZoggel@bcait.com.au>
To: "MX5List" <mx5list@mx5club.org.nz>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Precedence: list
Message-ID: <2MJVp.A.EfF.LIYMGB@L733>

I'm in Oz, but use an Odyssey 650, which is a totally sealed battery - doesn't need to use the breather hose. Very popular replacement here, as Mazda seem very happy to charge huge amounts of money with the standard unit. You should be able to get Odyssey's over in NZ, mine cost me AU$170 - they also have far superior cranking rate, recharge cycles etc.. used a lot in racecars because of their weight.

I don't think you'd have issues with insurance as long as it's a totally sealed unit. If you are really worried about it, write a letter to your insurance co stating that you have changed to XYZ brand.

Cheers - Mike

Return to “2003”