Hunt for Chassis number

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Hunt for Chassis number

Post by Donovan » Tue May 31, 2011 1:52 pm

As those of you have been following my post in regards to the conversion, you will all know what I am up to.

As part of the conversion, I was planning on putting a NB dial cluster into the car for the electronic speedo to work of the new gearbox. I bought a JDM 180kph of 2low2c thinking that I could just stick a new template on it, as the needle swings past 180. Turns out it only goes to 200kph.

I really really really have my heart set on a 240kph speedo, but still can't find one from a wreckers in NZ or AUS. Can source a 150mph for next to nix, and then just get a 240kph template over the top. I have just been worried about the ODO then having the wrong signal, but from what I have read it looks like the NB unit picks that up from the ECU, which if true, I don't know whether it is going to introduce more problems with the the Holden ECU talking to the NB ODO, anyway, that will be just another thing to deal with.

My other thought is that I could just see if I can by the speedo new, but I need a chassis number from an NB for Mazda to give me the price and whether they can still be bought. So my question is, for those of you out there in Mazda land, if you have a NZ new NB, are you able to supply your chassis number, and if so, can you let me know the year and whether it is a white faced dial set or a normal black faced.

Of course, my other possible option is that I could just put another brands Dial Cluster in there that is about the same size.

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”