LED DRL (Daytime Running Lights)

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

jbonenz
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

LED DRL (Daytime Running Lights)

Post by jbonenz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Hey Guys,

Has anyone had any experience with installing DRL's in their MX5. Have acquired some LED DRL's (2 thin adhesive strips), and would like to get these going.

I have the NA6, and am guessing these wouldnt have a DRL relay (havent been able to find one as yet :P). I do have the fog light switch, and wouldnt mind hooking them up so I can use the dash switch to turn the Lights On/Off if required (and can start them after the car has started to save juice for start-up). I am just unsure of where the wiring goes from this switch under the hood?

If anyone has any info on how I could hook these up that would be great! Have a basic knowledge of electronics in regards to audio/visual so am confident with any modifications that may need to be made.

Cheers :)

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:14 am

I have wired mine directly to an active IGN feed so they run whenever the ignition is on. The current drawn by LEDs is minimal in comparison to normal lights so shouldn't be an issue when starting. I picked up the IGN power from the fusebox under the bonnet.

The kit I have (from Jaycar) also had a line to turn off the DRLs when the normal headlights were switched on.

An interested in the adhesive strip concept, where did you get them?
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

jbonenz

Post by jbonenz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:01 pm

Cheers for that info, we ended up testing some wires that were under the hood and not being used. Ended up finding out that there was a blue wire on the passenger side by the light that gave me 12V when the ignition was on, Primo!

Just attached the ground wire to the car.

Will post pictures below in case anyone else wants to know how to do this.

I got 10 off these from an overseas supplier, so thought I would try one on my own car. With a voltage tester this made things a lot easier!

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:51 am

pic's are always good to see :)

zippy2
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by zippy2 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:49 pm

I have SMD led strips - they are excellent and can be seen from a great distance. To make it simple I just connected them to my park light wiring.
Attachments
DSC02941.JPG
photo

broomfish
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by broomfish » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:51 am

Euen wrote: An interested in the adhesive strip concept, where did you get them?
I got mine from http://ledbulbs.co.nz/led-strip-light-d ... p-151.html but ended up not using them and modding the front lights to be DRL's instead
regards

Peter Lee
Broomfish
www.broomfish.co.nz

jbonenz

Post by jbonenz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Nice placement for your DRL's, thought I would put mine by the number plate (looks alright, numberplate needs straightening up)!

I posted my pics in another topic, with a small instruction set on how I set them up. Put them on the blue wire by the Passengers side Light, not sure what this is meant for but works for me (works only when ignition is on). Also stays on with the main lights on.

I do have some more of these if anyone would like some, found the cables on them were quite short so had to do a bit of personal wiring (which was good as it ended up minimalising the amount of cables running through the car.

Would look good with a nice white racing stripe.....One day :P

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Fri May 06, 2011 9:53 am

Got mine from the UK, wired them into the sidelight circuit, and was promptly informed at my next WOF that the DRLs must go off when the headlights come on!
The mechanic even showed me in the WOF Manual where this is covered....

Bugger. :(
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Euen

Post by Euen » Fri May 06, 2011 10:13 am

The Jaycar ones come with the wire to connect to the lighting circuit to turn them off when the lights are turned on.

Also, was in Ideal Electrical recently and they had a display stand of about 10 different varieties of self adhesive LEDs. I think they had red, green and blue as well. They sold them by the metre. You would need to build your own voltage regulator circuit and headlight switching to run them though.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”