Ruined spring tabs - can't get Bose head unit out!

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

mazdad
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by mazdad » Sat May 30, 2009 7:51 pm

Trying to remove my Japan spec Bose six CD double din head unit out I think I've mangled the clips on the right-hand side. Nothing I do (inclding the eight nail tip) seems to be letting me get that darn head unit out!
All I want to do is fit a band-expander in series with the aerial into the head unit - I'm sure I can feel the aerial connection going into the headunit at the lower left (facing the front of the unit from inside the car) but I just can't pull it out.
Any ideas?
"The best British sports car ever" - Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear

MX5PWR
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by MX5PWR » Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 am

The head unit can be a bit tricky to get the springs to release, took me
quite awhile to get it right. The other option is to install the expander at
the aerial end in the boot.

[Posted via external email]

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Sun May 31, 2009 1:06 pm

Yeah i put mine in the boot--------sooooooooooo easy!
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

mazdad
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

SORTED

Post by mazdad » Sun May 31, 2009 7:11 pm

After fighting to get the Bose head unit out of my Mk2.5 I finally gave up and removed centre console and trim. Also took out glove box and panel beneath steering wheel for additional access.

Using the 'eight nail' approach I then applied pressure (lots and lots of it!) to the right side of head unit with a wide blade screwdriver inserted approc mid-way down the head unit until I saw waht appeared to be the retaining clips appearing in the hole the trim clip fitted into - it was bending the wrong way securing the head unit even tighter!

Using a narrow head screwdriver I pushed these retaining clips back toward the head unit, I then drilled a simillar sized hole adjacent to the lower clips and pushed them back in through this new hole. Finally the head unit came out.

After removal it was immediately aparrent that the clip removing tool (or eight Oboe masonry nails in my case) never had a hope in hell of releasing the retaining clips - they were sprung so far out the removal tool merely passed through the middle of the clip on completely the wrong side. Before re-fitting I removed the clips and bent them to their correct position - tight enough to retain the head unit but now the Oboe nails spring them for removal.
"The best British sports car ever" - Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”