Pop-up light intermittent actuation fault

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

charles86
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by charles86 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:15 pm

The pop-up headlights on my 1992 Japanese import MX5 (Eunos) 1.6, sometimes take a while to come up and sometimes stay up for quite a while after the lights are turned off. Both lights move together, but some time ago the RH headlight kept popping up and down on its own. This has since stopped. I have silicone sprayed the light switch stalk and the actuators by the headlamp units. Where else can I look for the solution to this problem?[[/list]

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Tue May 27, 2008 10:28 pm

Slydit posted a solution to this in the old forum.... I'll see if I can find it.... and after far too many search results here it is...

http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewtopic.php ... +behaviour

Good luck....

[Posted via external email]
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Gravelben
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Gravelben » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:23 pm

Similar problem with mine - sometimes lights come up when I turn them on but sometimes have to push the button on the dash. Similar story putting them down, but often have to push the button many (many many many etc) times before they'll pop down.

Any clever ideas to fix it?

Gravelben

Post by Gravelben » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:40 pm

I think I may have discovered a rather high-tech solution to my problem - if I push on the plastic between the pop-up button and hazard light button its much more effective than the button itself. Dodgy contact then I suppose.

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:56 pm

i dont have that problem since i dont have the barn door lights anymore i have now uesd the light button as the last part of my kill switch / immobiliser system
i do have the problem that sometimes when i turn on the indicators i flash the high beams i think i need to wip the swich out and give it abit of a refurbish

Gravelben

Post by Gravelben » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:54 pm

My pop-up (or often not) problem had been gradually getting worse for a while so I decided to have a poke round and try to find the problem tonight - gave every fuse, relay and connector I could find a wiggle and made sure they were tight. Problem solved, lights work fine now. Gotta love a free fix ;)

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”