Alarm / Immobiliser query..

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

Bazza
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Alarm / Immobiliser query..

Post by Bazza » Tue May 22, 2007 10:51 am

When I got my NA it came fitted with an alarm system and immobiliser and alarms the car to the touch. There were no manuals or data with it and I haven't been able to locate the sensor unit to find a brand name. The actual alarm sender unit is on the firewall but has no brand name on it.

With trial and error I worked out how to use it. My query is that there are two buttons on the remote unit, a large one that I use to make it work, and a smaller one that I cannot find a use for. Any ideas on the smaller ones function :?:
1990 Roadster 1.6L

Shermio
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Shermio » Tue May 22, 2007 11:50 am

Do the remote look like the ones they have for Dynatron? If they do the smaller one is to silence the 'Beep' when you set the alarm.

http://www.dynatron.co.nz/wa.asp?idWebPage=9878

If your remote looks like the ones in the url that's what they do... press the small one first then arm the car it will be silent with no beeps.

(Great when coming home late at night... or very early ;) )
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Tue May 22, 2007 12:18 pm

Shermio is probably right, but could you post a pic of the remote? Someone may have one the same.

Even if you found any other sensors (the microwave sensor is most commonly put under the centre console - near the window switches), it is unlikely to have the brand of the alarm, as often the sensors are a different brand.

Have you tried the 'hold down for 3-5 second' thing with the button?

It could be an auxilliary output useful for opening a boot etc - can you hear a relay click on the main alarm module when you press it? (of course it could have a simple open collector output, so no click...)

Although... it is very possible that it has no function at all, as many alarms come with the same remotes for different models, with the base model alarms having fewer functions...

Your next door neighbours garage door doesn't go up when you press it?
(z)

Bazza
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Bazza » Tue May 22, 2007 7:48 pm

Thanks for the input guys, this has given me something to think about.

As I live in a built up area I'll experiment a bit tomorrow.....ensuring "peace in our time."

The comment from Zorruno re the unit being near the window switches rang a bell. I took my window switches apart and cleaned the terminals a few months back. After reassembling the console I noticed a small wired black box with a red lens lying on the floor under the drivers seat. Not knowing what it was, (the car came with a rear proximity sensor fitted and I thought it may have been part of that) and being too lazy to take the console off again, I left it under the drivers seat, out of the way. You picked it, it's obviously the receiving unit for the remote. Now instead of having 4/5 attempts to clear the system, it clicks first go.

I'll report back after I have a fiddle tomorrow....tks again.
1990 Roadster 1.6L

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Tue May 22, 2007 9:19 pm

Bazza wrote: You picked it, it's obviously the receiving unit for the remote.
Receiving unit for the remote? I doubt it. Your remote would likely be RF based (no lens of any kind) - and the RF receiver will likely be on the main unit (unless that is the main unit - how many wires coming out of it?

We want photos! I'd probably be able to tell you what each item was by looking at it and the wires coming out of it...

What do you mean by clear the system? Were there other problems with it?
(z)

Shermio

Post by Shermio » Tue May 22, 2007 10:06 pm

The thing with the len could be the Microwave sensor... I have about 3 of them I don't know why but the previous owner went all out on the alarm system :D

Bazza
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Bazza » Wed May 23, 2007 10:15 am

OK, the unit under my seat was the rear detection sensor, which incidentally is about as much use a hip pocket in a singlet. ...so that doesn't advance me any further.

A picture of the remote unit, which is all I can find to photo can be found here, (with any sort of luck.)

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u137 ... te0001.jpg

When I mentioned "clearing the unit" I was meaning using the remote to clear the settings prior to inserting the key. The unit seems to be doing what it should do ok, my query really is only the use of the second button.
1990 Roadster 1.6L

Shermio

Post by Shermio » Wed May 23, 2007 11:20 am

Hmmm hard to tell... it looks like a generic unit... Sometimes manufactures have different models with different functions... Your could be missing that function... I could list a range of possible functions but most likely it's just a dud... :D

Uses for the smaller button:

1) Pop the boot
2) Wind up all the windows when pressed and held
3) Silence the beeps
4) Orders the little robot inside the boot to grab you a beer while you are in the garage working on the car... :P

I like option 4 the best :D

MatBat
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by MatBat » Wed May 23, 2007 1:57 pm

Option 5: Mutes wife/partner whilst you are working on car (or in my case discussing why a sizable proportion of finances are prefixed with MX5).

This option suits me :)
Greddy turbo, Koni adjustables, Aerotech, LSD, 15" Volks with Toyo T1R's, Lightened body, Bonnet Vents........

Bazza
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Bazza » Thu May 24, 2007 9:31 am

Ok, thanks for all your help but now I have to admit defeat....

I have also tried using our second remote (from wife's handbag.) but this doesn't do anything either...

It occurs to me that the button could be there for auto door locking, if such was wired in, mine isn't and both doors have to be locked manually.

My boot lid only opens when I use the button provided near my fuel-cap lever. It doesn't close the windows.

I think Shermio is onto something though, the little man in the boot is missing. :roll:
1990 Roadster 1.6L

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Thu May 24, 2007 2:50 pm

Bazza, it most likely has no function for a simple alarm. Silencing the alarm chirps on arm/disarm is still the most likely candidate though.

Also, I've looked everywhere I can for what that brand of remote is, and I'm stumped too sorry. There are just too many generic models manufactured in Asia to find out what it is.

If your in Auckland at any stage, I'm happy to look further as there could be some more clues on the alarm unit itself, the siren or other accessories. Failing that - it is probably easy to whip the cover off the alarm and look at the circuit board...

Cheers
(z)

Bazza
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Bazza » Thu May 24, 2007 8:21 pm

Thanks for all your help - on the basis that if it's not broke don't fix it, I'll just leave things as they are.....at least everything I need works.

My son has a similar unit for his Nissan - the small button in his case works the auto-door lock.

I have a much more pressing DIY for the weekend - I have a wooden handbrake grip coming to back up my gear knob and Nardi wheel.

Would that qualify for a modification in the garage - LOL.
1990 Roadster 1.6L

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”