NA indicator assembly

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

suburban_ennui
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

NA indicator assembly

Post by suburban_ennui » Wed May 02, 2007 6:09 pm

Hi. Just got a new, orange indicator to replace the mismatched pair that came with my car. (One crystal, one orange. Go figure ...)

Anyway, the guy who owned the car before me (and don't even get
me started on what passed for "maintenance" in his books) had glued
the smaller, parking light into place on the old indicator assembly. (I assume
either the grey plastic blub mount, or else the hole where it fits,
was broken.) Anyway, I had to break the bulb socket/mount to get the
smaller light out so now my park light is held in there with duct tape.

Any idea if this gray plastic bulb socket/wire thingy is a standard part I could replace at Repco? Or is it specific to the MX5. I gather the wires and such are all attached and that I need to buy a whole new unit, and not just the plastic bit?

Cheers.

Lawrence

DBM58
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by DBM58 » Thu May 03, 2007 9:02 pm

Hello to you

Perhaps the reason behind the mismatched pair is that the previous owner had started to do the modification that swapped the locations of the indicator and park lights - resulting in a smaller indicator, but much brighter park light - and stopped after doing only one side (the "crystal" one). The hard part of the change is that you need to increase the size of the hole for the indicator bulb and if you make the hole too big, the original bulb holder will not stay in, hence it is glued in. I do not know if the bulb holder is available as a spare part, but I may have an old one somewhere in my spares box. I will have a look at the weekend. By the way, which side is your old "crystal" assembly, and is it for sale?
David

suburban_ennui
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by suburban_ennui » Thu May 03, 2007 10:23 pm

hi David

Firstly, the crystal unit (well, it's all clear with no orange tint on the indicator bit - I guess that makes it crystal, right?) is for the passenger side. You're welcome to it if you want/need it for anything.

Secondly. I don't think there was anything quite as complicated. Have had a look at the bulb loom unit on the other side, I noticed it was broken too. According to Ross at MX5 Mark the bulb holders snap pretty easily so I'd gather it was just clumsiness and/or inepitide. Some duct tape is now holding both parking lights in place, until I find the time/motivation to get some new looms.

PM me if you want that indicator

Lawrence

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”