Non MX5 Radio - need suggestions please

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

biff
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by biff » Tue May 23, 2006 3:45 pm

Hi all,
My wife wants a new radio for her car (birthday comming up) and Im not sure whats the best buy. There are hundreds to choose from and not being an audiophile (nor is she) I'm looking for advice.
1) It needs to be fitted in ChCh
2) The current one skips all over the place when playing CD's so that has to stop. :D
3) Multi CD or rack would be nice (say 5 CD's)

Oh yea, I dont have a zilion dollars to spend so lets say around the $250 to $300

Anyone have a few suggestions <be nice>
Cheers
Biff
Red MX NA
ZOOM1N

DBM58
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by DBM58 » Tue May 23, 2006 4:53 pm

I bought a Panasonic unit from Parallel Imports. The important requirements for me where that it was able to play MP3 files, and had a clock. I too know very little about these matters, but Gazza does, and he bought one too. I will send you the model number later. I think the cost was around $220. My personal point of view is that I do not need a stacker as I am happy to physically change discs. And, you can fit 150 or more MP3 tracks on a single disc.

Initially I did have a problem with skipping tracks but found that when I secured the unit properly, all was well.

Regards
David Moughtin

====
Note from Moderator Simple: David has committed crime number 4 in "POSTING ETTIQUITE - What not to do on this forum" ( viewtopic.php?t=85 - "Don't top-post, and don't over-quote"). I've erased the evidence before Howard finds out and beats him up. Howard may beat him up next time... :-)
====

Grant
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Grant » Tue May 23, 2006 5:28 pm

I bought a JVC unit for my NB about a year ago. My requirements were must have MP3 capability, rotary volume control (hate push button ones!), audio attenuator button, large radio memory buttons. The only problem I am having is the display is very difficult to read in bright (not direct) sunlight. This is difficult to test fo before installation. The unit works very well and having 10 hours worth of music on one cd is great.
The JVC unit I fitted in my NA about three years ago also works well. It's display is quite readable in all light conditions as well.
I had a Panasonic unit in my Isuzu Wizard when I bought it. this has a good display but is far too bright at night and can't be dimmed. I have just replaced it with a Sony GT700D unit. This has the RDS system which works well on the FM receive. Has very good auto dimming display even though it's a bit small but at $550.00 it's out of your range. Dosen't have an audio attenuator button though but does have a lead to operate one from a car phone for example. I will jack up one as I like to hit the ATT when I answer my phone. A much cheaper Sony is fitted in my Honda Odyssey, and it's display is also good in all light conditions.
Pioneer are popular but I found them more difficult to use than the Sony or JVC ones I have.
Another requirement is that I must be able to turn off the horrible animated displays many of them have now.
I found there was never any one radio that had all the features I wanted!
Red 2006 NC Tiptronic
FIX A PC

Grant

Post by Grant » Tue May 23, 2006 5:33 pm

Mounting the radio is simple. They all have standard fittings that will match the MX5 fittings. Check out suppliers for adaptor cables that will allow you to plug the new radio in with minimal wiring changes if any.
Stay with a good brand. I've had too much trouble with the cheaper suspect names, including the ones sold through nationwide chains. They go ok for a while but mechanically they don't last. Also they are more susceptable to interference on the battery feed. You do get what you pay for! Your budget will get you a good radio.
Red 2006 NC Tiptronic
FIX A PC

Ben.Nakagawa

Post by Ben.Nakagawa » Tue May 23, 2006 6:50 pm

I installed Sony MP3/CD head unit (previous year model). It was on sale because just before the model change and I paid about 180 for it with 2 16cm 2way speakers.

I'm more than happy with MP3 CD over stacker.
You can change group like changing disks in stacker as well, very handy and using less space.
Ben

1989 Red NZ New (100746) - sub grade paint and many small ding

XPECTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by XPECTD » Wed May 24, 2006 12:30 am

Ive seen a friend buy a portable DVD player from DSE on clearance for around $90, hook it up to the inputs on a Panasonic headdeck he got from Parallel Imported for around $190, and just use the DVD player to feed MP3's. Nothing quite like 4+ gigs of music to keep ya busy ;)
XPECTD
Black 1992 V-Special Edition

Driving - No longer about JUST getting from A -> B

biff

Thanks all, just one more question :)

Post by biff » Thu May 25, 2006 12:41 pm

I am off to Singapore in a couple of weeks, does anyone know if the radios there are ok in NZ, or do you have to add those "band expanders".
Just a thought
Thanks again for all the help
cheers
Red MX NA
ZOOM1N

41south
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by 41south » Thu May 25, 2006 1:07 pm

As long as the FM specs say something like
  • FM Tuning Range: 88.0MHz ~ 108MHz
  • FM Tuning Steps: 100KHz
you should be OK. If you are interested in AM as well then
  • AM Frequency Range: 522KHz ~ 1710KHz
  • AM Tuning Steps: 9KHz
would also be good.

Cheers
Colin

Silver 1992 NA
DCE973

====
Note from Moderator Simple: Colin has committed crime number 4 in "POSTING ETTIQUITE - What not to do on this forum" ( viewtopic.php?t=85 - "Don't top-post, and don't over-quote"). I've erased the evidence before Howard finds out and beats him up. Howard may beat him up next time... :-)
====

Grant

Post by Grant » Thu May 25, 2006 6:02 pm

Just checked and the frequency range used in Singapore is the same as here
in New Zealand.

[Posted via External Email]
Red 2006 NC Tiptronic
FIX A PC

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Re: Thanks all, just one more question :)

Post by zorruno » Thu May 25, 2006 6:14 pm

err, ahh did you say something simple? ;) I'm a pacifist!
biff wrote:I am off to Singapore in a couple of weeks, does anyone know if the radios there are ok in NZ, or do you have to add those "band expanders".
I think most modern stereos now allow you to switch the band steps anyway (between 100khz and 90khz, or whetever the step ranges are) in their setup. I know mine does - which I've done accidentally - and it seems to erase all my other settings at the same time... :? It saves them producing two models for different parts of the world...
(z)

biff

Go Grant

Post by biff » Fri May 26, 2006 4:06 am

Thanks all I will have a look in Singapore, the exchange rate isnt worth anything, but their Duty Free is the best Ive found.
Thanks grant for finding the frequencies, how did you do it?
Cheers all mission accomplished.
:D
Red MX NA
ZOOM1N

Grant

Post by Grant » Fri May 26, 2006 7:41 am

I used Google to search for 'Singapore Broadcast Frequencies' to confirm the
information I already had in an old radio data book. I'm in the radio
communications business (as well as computers) so have all sorts of strange
text books on my shelves.

[Posted via External Email]
Red 2006 NC Tiptronic
FIX A PC

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:07 pm

Hi Biff

There is a shopping centre called Sim Lim Square in Singapore with a good car audio place on the ground floor. I have bought a few units from them with no problems.

Cheers
Euen

biff

Post by biff » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:14 pm

Thanks Euen, that will be my first stop.
Biff
Red MX NA
ZOOM1N

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”