Mounting sounds - Amp to boot lid and sub on the side

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

Post by Guest » Sat May 20, 2006 1:43 pm

Greetings all,

I have myself an amp that Im keen to get mounted to the lid of the boot on the underside. Not 100% sure on the best course of action for doing it.

Somebody had suggested I pop-rivet it and simply sand-back and repaint over the boot (The boot lid needs a paint on top anyway), but I was hoping there may be a better way.

Also looking at taking the 10" Kenwood sub that I have and mounting it in the corner on a slight up-facing angle (Not the corner with the battery in it), to give me more overall space in the boot.

Ive taken the spare tyre out so thats left me with a fair bit more room too, but being small as it is, every last little bit would help.

So, main question: How would you all recommend I get the amp mounted to the underside of the boot lid?

Kind regards

Josiah

XPECTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by XPECTD » Sat May 20, 2006 1:45 pm

*note to self* when posting from the familys PC, be sure to login first :p
XPECTD
Black 1992 V-Special Edition

Driving - No longer about JUST getting from A -> B

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Re: Mounting sounds - Amp to boot lid and sub on the side

Post by zorruno » Sat May 20, 2006 2:59 pm

XPECTD wrote:I have myself an amp that Im keen to get mounted to the lid of the boot on the underside. Not 100% sure on the best course of action for doing it. Josiah
Hi Josiah, are you really sure you want to do this? It probably depends on how heavy your amp is, but I guess firstly you'd need to strengthen the lifter springs. If you have no spoiler, you might be OK with popping the springs into a different slot for more lift, or better still, get a gas strut kit to lift your boot.

But, if there is one thing I learnt in my car audio days of too much money spent and too many hours thrown away completely stripping my car apart... make your stereo mods simple, and reversable. (I suppose a new boot lid could count as a reversable mod though)

One easier way might be to bond a piece of wood to the underside of the boot then mount it on that. There are some pretty good adhesives that would work, and at least you could remove the amp from the wood if you needed to for repair etc. There are also structures on the underside of the boot lid you maybe could mount to that may mean you don't have to go through the top and damage it.

Finally, heat dissapation on an amp will not work as well upside down, but then again it depends on the type/quality of amp, the heatsink design, how much luggage you shove under it... If you manage to metallically bond it to the boot lid, the lid could act as a very nice heatsink.

What about mounting it at the side of the boot, or in the wheel well? (leave the spare at home... but then that is another thread entirely)

cheers
(z)

peter
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by peter » Sat May 20, 2006 3:30 pm

best place for a sub is in the boot space - I put mine on a board with holes each side that fit over a couple of bolts from the underside (double nutted so the bolts stay in place) and with connectors on the leads so I can remove the whole assemblt in about twenty seconds if I need the boot space.

My amp is mounted behind the passenger seat so I can access the controls etc. Mounted against the petrol tank firewall....

XPECTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by XPECTD » Sat May 27, 2006 12:33 pm

Purchased some plywood today, have had a chat with my brother whos keen to do some work with fibreglass around it.

Will take photos and document it for those interested :)
XPECTD

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Sat May 27, 2006 4:27 pm

XPECTD wrote:Purchased some plywood today, have had a chat with my brother whos keen to do some work with fibreglass around it.
The best tip I had for plywood+glass enclosures (for say, a subwoofer mounted on the left side of the boot or in the wheel well) was to use a plastic bag, full it up with expanding foam, then push it into the place you want the enclosure with the piece of wood on top (wood precut to size for a sub mounting plate).

Wait until it dries, do a bit of foam trimming, then you have a mold for fibreglassing - which then fits perfectly into position.
(z)

XPECTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by XPECTD » Sun May 28, 2006 9:22 am

Hahaaa!

You make it sound too easy!

Appreciate that though, thats EXACTLY what I was after, will be making a ported box for my 10" Kenwood Sub to sit over the left-hand side of the boot.

Many thanks :)
XPECTD

XPECTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by XPECTD » Sun May 28, 2006 8:55 pm

Hey all,

Today I managed to get the sub & amp mounted nicely... sub sounds _waay_ different, not quite so strong now. Just needs a little fine-tuning I believe

Will have it all fibre-glassed shortly too, but for the mean time the wires are hanging all over the show, its like a jungle :D
XPECTD

Okibi
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Okibi » Mon May 29, 2006 4:19 pm

Where are the photos!

I started to do this with my alpine Amp once but ended up changing it to the wheel well with plugs to remove it quickly for motorsport.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

yababy
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

2 amp and a sub in the boot.

Post by yababy » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:53 pm

Ive mounted 2 amps and a sub in the boot with a false boot floor, easy and works well, How do you post pic to this forum ?

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:13 pm

yababy said on 06/28/2006 07:53 PM:

Ive mounted 2 amps and a sub in the boot with a false boot floor, easy
and works well, How do you post pic to this forum ?
Feel free to email them to me & I'll place them somewhere, but you can't
post them directly at this stage... as per the FAQ
faq.php#35

--
(z)

[Posted via External Email]

yababy
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

It does not get much easier than this

Post by yababy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:28 pm

Make a false boot floor, cover it in carpet and mount your amps.
Make a second floor, cover it and make some holes for ventilation
The top floor holds the sub in place and the spare wheel holds the floor in place.
The fan is from a computer shop, the grills are from jaycar
If I was to do this again I would angle the front of the sub box and fit a larger sub.

http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/uploads/DSC00315.JPG
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/uploads/DSC00313.JPG
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/uploads/DSC00316.JPG

Cheers

Yababy

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”