Headrest speakers 2014 thread

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

GRUVBB
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Headrest speakers 2014 thread

Post by GRUVBB » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Im going to replace both sets of headrest speakers over the next week.... My query is whether the plastic grills need to be fitted to speakers.... There are some which are more flush sitting than others. I understand that the grills stop damage to the cones. Do the speakers rebate enough to not need them or should i get speakers with a relatively flush finish... Better to ask a stupid question than fix a stupid F#%* Up. Cheers in advance.

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:36 pm

I replaced mine with 4 inch speakers (one in each seat), I went for a speaker with the tweeter as flush as possible (fusion I think). It was a bit of mucking around but they sound great, I even have a amp feeding them.

You don't have to put the covers back on as you head does not really touch the headrest most of the time, I did not put mine back as there was not much room.

The only concern I have without the cover is that if I have an accident my head will be hitting the hard speaker not the softish plastic cover.
warrior

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:22 pm

The speakers should fit snugly in place and you shouldn't have any reverb issues. You do not want to put the plastic covers on or they will not fit.

you will want to cut scallops out of the headrest but cut on an angle so one of the tri-bars on the back of the speaker will have something to support it and hold it square and snug. I have done a pathetic mspaint pic to illustrate what i mean, the red bit is what you cut out.

doing it this way I was able to snugly fit 2 JVC 4 inch speakers in each heatrest and the plastic cover that is attached to the headrest (the bit that folds forward when you unzip it) is more than ample in keeping them in place and protecting them from harm (and cooties)

I hope that helps and I can do more crappy ms paint pics or photos if needed :)

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:23 pm

I have already looked at a few different speakers over the past months. The Fusion seem to have the most flush finish and was what i was contemplating on purchasing....... Today I had a supplier try and sell me 3 way speakers rather than a cheaper 2 way. They are twice the price but I thought that there would not be a big difference due to the proximity to ones ears when in use in a headrest. Has anyone had experience with both 2 and 3 way that can make an educated call on this??? I can buy both sets of 2 ways for the price of just 1 set of 3 way. The shops dont have 4 inch connected on their display stands as they are usually only used in vans and european vehicles so not big movers for audio purchasers. This makes it harder to determine what the quality of their sound is.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:50 pm

I have two way and they sound fine .... you arn't going to be getting much low range out of 4 inch speakers anyway (the way I see it)

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:19 pm

I agree with mr grey. They are just a fill in speaker anyway.
warrior

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:05 am

I used the plastic grille thing. Fusion 4"s come with screws and these little metal things the screws go into, however, I also used a couple plumbing washers just to be sure. Worked a charm. Want pictures?

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:40 am

4A-GE wrote:I used the plastic grille thing. Fusion 4"s come with screws and these little metal things the screws go into, however, I also used a couple plumbing washers just to be sure. Worked a charm. Want pictures?
All good thanks. :D

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:57 am

So i I removed the first of the original speakers today and scalloped out the foam until I got down to the reinforcing bar of the seat. Positioned a speaker into the recess but found that the front of the speaker sticks out TOO FAR! The magnet is hard up against the reinforcing bar at present. The plastic segment of the headrest will not sit over the speaker and allow the fabric to be zipped up. The speakers I have purchased are Fusion PF-FR4020. The depth of the speaker is 49 mm or 1-15/16 ". How did others overcome this issue please or do i need to get another speaker that does not have such a large magnet on the back perhaps..... I also found that these speakers would need the mounting tabs removed from the door side of them or they would sit too proud against the vertical area of the fabric cover zip...... Any tips please???..... Im moving on to the door speakers now instead.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:54 pm

I hate to say it, but it would appear that those speakers are unsuitable :(
the central tweeter protrudes too far forward and the overall depth of the speaker appears to be about 10-15mm too proud.

I used a JVC 4" and one edge of the back of the magnet rests on the central steel pillar and yet does not protrude out as far (I didn't use the grilles and its a snug fit when I put the plastic headrest plate back in place)

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:21 pm

I thought as much. :cry: Oh well..... Back to the shop. Hope they credit me. They have not been connected yet. One is still in virginal wrapping. Only $30 if they dont and will find somewhere to put them. Even if it is on my storage shelf. Will know what measurements to be looking for now at least on the bright side.... Cheers MrGrey for confirming my thoughts.

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:58 pm

So I returned the Fusion 4's today. Checked out their other speakers and the slimmest they had were Rockford Fosgate. The available gap measures about 40-41 mm but these are 43.6 mm deep. I got them to see if I had hopefully made an error in measurement(with fingers crossed). The speaker juts out a smidge but am still able to insert plastic headrest segment and zip up cloth cover. They are a better quality speaker so will pursue this line.
One of the original speakers was intermittent.... Not sure if a wiring issue or a head unit issue. The wiring behind existing unit is scary. Decided to buy a new head deck as they are cheap enough and just fully rewire circuits. This will save time diagnosing an intermittent situation and does not take long to clock up $90 worth of aggravation in my opinion.
Speakers cost $50 per pair but came with wire and spade connectors so easier to fit than the $30 Fusions. The head deck cost $89. May ahve been able to get slightly cheaper elsewhere but at that pricing I was happy to get all done in less than 10 mins.
Those of you who have retro fitted 4 inch into headrest can you tell me how much spare room you had or what depth the different brands were if you have that info handy????
After only inserting 1 speaker it seems like the headrest will not be as soft as it used to be but head does not sit against it. Prob only hit it in an emergency situation or if i fall asleep... That will then in turn create an emergency. situation. :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:11 pm

The speaker juts out a smidge but am still able to insert plastic headrest segment and zip up cloth cover.
mine was very similar but i don't think this will be an issue because if your natural driving position is similar to mine then it will be rare for you to be relaxing your head directly against the headrest anyhow.

the headunit seems to be a good choice too at first glance... I do not know what its outputs are but but most importantly (to me) is that it has a USB plug on the front which means you can fill up a memory stick with music, plug it in and never have to listen to radio advertisements ever again if you choose not to.

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:16 pm

4 x 50watt and a sub output..... I have a vast CD collection but nothing to copy it all onto SD stick...lol.... Perfect for my Daughters IPhone though.... Im happy listening to BFM. Will sort out something at some stage no doubt.
Stereos hav come along way since I was a teenager. I remember waiting for the valve radios to warm up before sound would come out of them. :lol:
I purchased a basic 5 band EQ in the early 80's and they cost $180 back then.... So many tarriffs in the old days.

Angreal

Post by Angreal » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:43 pm

GRUVBB wrote:4 x 50watt and a sub output..... I have a vast CD collection but nothing to copy it all onto SD stick...lol.... Perfect for my Daughters IPhone though.... Im happy listening to BFM. Will sort out something at some stage no doubt.
Stereos hav come along way since I was a teenager. I remember waiting for the valve radios to warm up before sound would come out of them. :lol:
I purchased a basic 5 band EQ in the early 80's and they cost $180 back then.... So many tarriffs in the old days.
Did they also play vinyls? :lol: sorry I guess I just can't comprehend a stereo having to warm up to play...

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:07 am

Angreal wrote:
Did they also play vinyls? :lol: sorry I guess I just can't comprehend a stereo having to warm up to play...
Car valve radio...... MONO!!!!! (Or wireless as Grandad would call them).....Stereos were massive wooden structures in the lounge that were about as long as a modern 50 inch plasma stand or bigger and taller. Some even acted like a heater with the amount of heat that came off the components. :lol:
It does seem funny but not really very long ago..... Im actually starting to sound like my Grandad reminiscing away the old days.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:36 am

The fusion headunit is ok I guess, but you should have splashed out the extra $$$ for a new 8 track cassette player.

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:57 am

MrGrey wrote: I can do more crappy ms paint pics or photos if needed :)
I think we all need to see a picture of MrGrey riding a unicorn shooting a laser :lol:
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:04 pm

GRUVBB wrote:I'm happy listening to bFM.
Welp, you've made a new friend. :lol: Every car since my civic (total 5) has proudly worn the ol' b sticker declaring other radio stations are shit. 8)

Where abouts are you in akl? Come have a look at how I've mounted mine sometime. Alternately I can send you pictures. From cabin side to boot side, it sorta goes:
Mounting screw >> plastic grille thingy >> plumbing washer >> speaker >> Little metal screw thread thingy.
Because I've used the plumbing washers (the 2 or 3mm thick rubber jobbies), I've had no issues with the cone hitting the headrest; nor the magnet being in a silly place because I've gouged the foam out.

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:18 pm

Last weekend was taken up with Automania which exceeded expectations so Im going to finish headrest speakers this weekend..... I need to trim the metal mounting frames down on the outside edges. I would appreciate any comments or ideas on a suitable technique..... I was thinking that I will put wide duct tape over the metal frame edges and also tape a plastic bag over the cones and magnets etc. i figure that if I fully encapsulate the speaker with protective covering and then tape over where I need to trim that I should be able to keep swarf away from the cones and magnets. I thought to have the vacuum cleaner sucking the swarf as I cut the frames. Thought of tin snips but do want any sharp edges. If I hacksaw it and then tickle up edge with a file fingers crossed all should work out ok.
Can anyone offer a better technique or any refinements to my first plan????? :idea:

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:26 pm

tin snips and a file should be fine :)

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:12 am

MrGrey wrote:tin snips and a file should be fine :)
Could not find my tin snips within the depths of my work van so grabbed my trusty All Purpose Knipex Side Cutters.... These cut the tabs off without an issue. Touched up the edges with a filein no time at all. Cut some more foam out right down to the reinforcing bars. Speakers nestled in ok and was able to reassemble headrest plastic and zip up without too much tension on the zip. The speakers do not sit flush due to the size of the magnets but they are a better quality than those with thinner ones. Photos attached to show finish position. They sound Sweet As. Needless to say Im stoked. Just having a coffee break and Im back out to connect up to a stable power supply so I can use the stereo at night when the lights are on. :lol:
Had a recommendation to run the Rockfords through an amp as they are up for the task and will perform even better. Will go down this track at some stage but have other pressing tasks to do at moment.
Hope this thread is of use to others who are wondering what speakers will fit. Thanks for the feedback via this thread and face to face.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:45 am

Finished reinstating headrest covers etc and positioning head unit. All good till the volume passed volume 22. It would distort and turn itself off momentarily. Suspected a short in the speaker wiring as I had already found a wire which had been overloaded and the insulation compromised. I had already cut that connector out and fitted fresh wire and connectors during the firat session of installation two weeks back. Tested my switched positive supply to the chassis and turned lights on. Positive 12 volts still present. Located the memory supply (unswitched) and tested to the supposed ground connection. Turned lights on and power dropped off.... Connected the ground direct to the metal frame work behind head unit cavity and all issues sorted. Cranked volume off the dial and system remained stable BUT LOUD!!!! :twisted:
Rockfords performing well but front Fusions distort at higher volume. Lucky I dont need to have it that high. When funds allow these will get upgraded to some higher spec speakers.
If anyone ever needs assistance or advice feel free to PM me.

GRUVBB

Post by GRUVBB » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:12 pm

Bump for Palapanda....... good luck. Ask questions if you are not sure. Its better to ask silly question than fix stupid F... Up.

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”