Towbar wiring advice

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Towbar wiring advice

Post by MrGrey » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:46 pm

I will soon be installing a towbar and was after some advice regarding the best method for wiring up the lights plug.

Many people just splice into the tail light wire system with no problems, but I have also read about some people using tail light converters like the Hopkins one
Hopkins 46255 Power Taillight Converter
Each unit can power up to 2 sets of stop/turn signals
Has a replaceable 4-wire flat extension
For vehicles equipped with independent bulb turn signals and brake lights or common bulb systems

Basically I am asking if anyone has any suggestions on which I should go for. I will not be using the tow bar very often (Mainly just to tow empty bunnings trailers back after work) but I don't want to potentially overload my electrical system using piggyback wiring nor do I want to splash out on gimicky gizmo's if they are not needed.

Thanks in advance for any feedback :)

Mazda-mender
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by Mazda-mender » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:59 pm

I have tow bars on a Mk 1 and Mk 2 of mine, and even with the ones i have fitted for other owners here I have just tapped into the wiring, but they have been lead loaded(soldered) in rather than snap clips, do not trust snap clips soldering in is more permenant conection with electric tape or heat shrink tubes, and i have never had or others any problems and mine have been on for many many years buddy.

M-m
Attachments
DSC00010.jpg
DSC00010.jpg
Last edited by Mazda-mender on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mk 1 1993 black V.S II 1.8 fettled
Mk 2 & a 1/4 1999 black & gold V.S 1.8 fettled
Mk 2 1999 white V.S 1.8, being fettled

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:27 am

Thanks, and nice tail lights :)

Mazda-mender

Post by Mazda-mender » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:51 am

Merette rear units,(French) the new versions are now done and on sale again with LED units in them, sorry i still cannot post a link? but UK e-bay item No-
;0)
M-m

sprsta

Post by sprsta » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:34 am

You wont need a taillight converter. That's only for if a trailer only has park/stop lights and no amber indicator light it'll make the stop light flash. you would be hard pressed to find a decent trailer in NZ without turn signals. i think they are mostly in America.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:55 pm

rather than splice into the OEM wires, I was wanting to find out what the name/part number of these plugs are (male & female) so that I could make a nice n tidy plug n play setup for the wiring. Does any one know what they are called? and for that matter does any one know off hand which prong does which (earth/turn/brake etc)? I took 2 photos to try and aid identification.

just FYI, I have no multimeter because I am teh n00b

thanks in advance

just after posting this, I realized I could just nip down to bunning and see if they have wire connectors large enough (the ones you crimp onto the wire with) .... they do look a tad bigger than normal but its worth a nosey.

Mazda-mender

Post by Mazda-mender » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:03 pm

You will still need to tap in to the OE loom at the back, as i think the police over there will give you a curly finger if the rear clusters are not working on the roadster has will has the clusters on the trailer?
If the tow bar is fitted then the electrics plug will sit near the ball?
How does it work over there to here?
My weather proof plug is connected to the tow bar ready for action when i need it, which is lead loaded/soldered in to the rear loom of the roadster.
And personally i would not connect all the wiring for the trailer clusters form just the one plug.
No need for a meter a simple 12volt tester will do the job for this with a spike , a light and earth from your local Autofactors.
M-m

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:31 am

sorry, my previous post was a bit ambiguous.

I was meaning a male and female plug on each side of the rear lights acting as a pass through so that the tail lights still operate. The trailer plug would just be tapped into that circuit in parallel.

same sort of principal as a PC's Y splitter

tomtikki
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by tomtikki » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:30 am

A nice tidy idea but personally more effort than necessary.
Work smarter not harder pal. :wink:
By the time you drive to bunnings/mitre10/jaycar/repco/supercheap you could have it done and there is no guarantee you can find the type of plug you want.

It will take you about 15min to wire up the trailer plug and as long as you give yourself enough length it's easy to hide the new wires with the existing ones behind the back panel etc.
oh and it's pretty straight forward stuff back there, you don't really need a multimeter to work out which wires do what -although they are a very cheap tool and handy to have...
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Snapfrozen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:59 pm

Worst case, wire yourself up a 12V test light with a sharp prong and earth. I use mine more than I use my multimeter

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:08 pm

Today I wired up the plug and did the majors (indicators and stop lights) however, as my transmission is auto and I was by my self, I could not test to find out which wire was the reversing light so I was wondering if any of you might happen to know offhand.

I know that it has to be one of the 2 red wires in the middle of the plug as marked with this arrow.

Utilizing my photorealistic MS Paint skills, I did this diagram of the plug.

1 - *assumed* Reverse light
2 - Indicator light
3 - Earth wire
4 - Park/Numberplate light
5 - Brake light
Last edited by MrGrey on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

siren676

Post by siren676 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:22 pm

At a guess one will be park light and one will be reverse light
1990 NA6C MX5

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Thanks siren, makes sense :)
I worked out that the #4 is the park light which means the other must be the reverse light. NZ trailer law states that I need indicators, brake & park/number plate lights, so my car is now safe and legal to tow a trailer :)

yays!

Euen

Post by Euen » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:02 am

Reverse light - Red/Green
Indicator light L - Green/Black
Indicator light R - Green/White
Earth wire Usually Black
Park/Numberplate light - Red/Black
Brake light - Green

Hope that helps.
Keeping the connections inside the boot helps with keeping them clean and dry. The dickheads that did the trailer wiring on my Subaru just used insulation displacement snap clips behind the taillight where they get all sorts of road shit thrown at them and of course they eventiually fail
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”