Headlamp upgrade feedback

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Headlamp upgrade feedback

Post by MrGrey » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Although I love the look of low profile headlamps, from what I have read, square lamps will never be as good as round lamps so I think I will stick with the standard 7" headlamps. However, I would like to upgrade the 23 year old OEM's with something more up to date (not HID's because they would be a nightmare with the flippy headlamp system the mk1's have)

so I have been doing some trawling and found these on fleabay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIPAC-CRYSTAL-H ... 519966dac2
WIPAC CRYSTAL HALOGEN XENON HEADLAMP HEADLIGHT 7"

for replacing standard Lucas-style round 7"diameter sealed-beam units

Supplied with a 12Vg 60/55W (main/dip beam) Halogen H4 bulb, this kit offers excellent lighting due to its clear lense & profiled back reflector whilst consuming comparable power to standard Lucas-style sealed beam units

Or UPGRADE TO A 12V RING ULTRA XENON H4 BULB FOR JUST £4.99 MORE (please request a revised invoice before paying):

This is what the manufacturer quotes… “Up to 60% brighter than standard headlamps. Enhanced performance for greater light output. Precision designed filament ensures brighter hotspot. Objects can be seen more clearly at a distance of 75m on dipped beam. Ideal for professional drivers, non urban drivers, night drivers and those with vehicles with typically poorer headlamp performance. No additional wiring or switches required”

Or UPGRADE TO A 12V ENERGY-SAVING H4 BULB FOR JUST £4.99 MORE (please request a revised invoice before paying):

These 35/35W (dip/main beam) low-consuming (as opposed to output/efficiency) Halogen H4 bulbs offer modern lighting technology whilst simultaneously reducing the load placed on your vehicle’s electrical system (battery, switches, generator (dynamo/alternator) etc) compared with most standard sealed beam units

Supplied with an integral side / pilot / ‘city’ lamp fitting and 12V 5W bulb

Fully Compatible on vehicles fitted with ‘dim-dip’ function (where a low current is supplied to the dipped headlamp beam when the side-light is operational and the engine is running)

IMPORTANT:
Choose your headlamp on where you drive, NOT on where your vehicle was made! - This kit is for people who normally drive on the left side of the road e.g. GB, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Japan etc.
By the look of things, this would be a good replacement that would be a straight swap over from the old ones. What do you guys/gals think? am I looking at an appropriate product? are the wattage values appropriate?
or is there something else I should look at instead?

and are energy saving bulbs worth the extra cost?

any feedback is appreciated :)

broomfish
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by broomfish » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:30 am

Not as fancy, but I have a replacement semi sealed beam option in stock.
Pretty much OEM style, but with a replaceable H4 bulb.

http://www.broomfish.co.nz/product_info ... ts_id=1068
regards

Peter Lee
Broomfish
www.broomfish.co.nz

DeeCee
Tentative sideways sliding....
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by DeeCee » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:21 pm

From what I have read on this matter on several forums, Cibie are the best, followed by Hella.

I changed my OEM units for Hellas recently and am pleased with the marked improvement.

Cibie are not cheap, from memory the Hellas were about $65 each.
1992 NA - Red, 92 NA Race Car - Yellow, 90 BRG (a rebuild project)

brownie
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by brownie » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:28 pm

these are fairly good,if not "Brilliant" at night,
Sold a few sets to other forum users as well as a set for my own car,"Raybrig"
Polycarbonate lens,Manufactured by Stanley which is one of the main "OEM" companys.
Attachments
headlights.jpg

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”