Electrical Issue - Dashlights, Headlights and Brake Lights

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

SkilletKid
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Electrical Issue - Dashlights, Headlights and Brake Lights

Post by SkilletKid » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:50 pm

Drove over the Sunset Rd bridge the other night and after going over the bumps my front headlights retracted down (still turned on so using the button underneath the hazard lights worked to get them up again), turn signals and hazards weren't working. The horn and brake lights aren't working either. Anyone know what I could have damaged by going over those bumps?

And if anyone knows a decent auto electrician on the North Shore that would be awesome if I find this job too big to do by myself.

Cheers

edit- editted title to be more informative
Last edited by SkilletKid on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:01 pm

Maybe a loose wire or fuse somewhere? Check your fuses are seated properly.

SkilletKid

Post by SkilletKid » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:13 pm

Checked all fuses yesterday, all are fine and seated properly. I checked the fuse box both in the engine bay and the one by my legs. Unless I missed another box?
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:40 pm

I'll have a look at the wiring diagrams shortly to see if I can see something. Otherwise may be worth talking to Steve at Milford Auto Electrical. What year is your car?
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

SkilletKid

Post by SkilletKid » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:20 pm

It's a 1991. Thanks for the ref, I'll look them up when I have some time this week.

Euen

Post by Euen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:51 pm

It could be an earthing problem, however the horn, hazards and stop lights are all fed off the same fuse in the main fuse box in the engine bay. As the NA uses the same flasher for turn signal and hazard, the turn signals are going to be affected as well.

The fuse is the one labled BTN and should be a 40Aamp fuse however you have not mentioned whether you have lost your tail lights and, park lights and panel lights which are also fed from the same fuse. If they are still working then it is more likely to be an earthing problem.

Hope that helps.
E
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:23 pm

I'd recommend replacing it to be sure, I had a similar issue on a friends Pulsar. His dashlights went out, we checked the fuse related, it looked fine.

Took it to an auto electrician friends house, he replaced it, boom, working. Tricky bastards. Cheap enough anyway and saves you looking for hours like we did if its the fix.

SkilletKid

Post by SkilletKid » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:49 pm

Thanks for that Euen and Skilful, just double checked now and stole a fuse from my brother's 94. Turns out the BTN fuse was blown out (didn't really look it though) but I noticed that atleast 1 wire underneath the fuse box is shorting itself on to the chassis, I didn't see it on sunday when I checked during the day but saw the light from the sparks in the dark.

I angled the box and put my brother's fuse in and the lights (dash, headlights and signal lights) worked. Haven't checked brake lights or the horn yet, a bit cold outside.

I'll check the wire tomorrow morning to see if I need to change it out or if I can get away with wrapping it with electrical tape.

Much appreciated guys.

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Good to hear its an easy fix. Damn fuses, I always thought it would always be easy to tell.

Euen

Post by Euen » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:06 pm

SkilletKid wrote:...... but saw the light from the sparks in the dark.
Always looks spectacular. Well spotted.

SkilletKid

Post by SkilletKid » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:07 pm

Cheers guys all fixed (for now anyway). I just wrapped the wire in electrical tape for now but when I have more time in 2 weeks I will go back to it and replace the wire. Where would I be able to get the crimp on pin for the plug? I assume JayCar will have it?

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”