New Headrest Speakers fitted

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

amaurosisbrown
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

New Headrest Speakers fitted

Post by amaurosisbrown » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:09 pm

So I bought a '92 NA6 last month, and the first thing I needed to do was replace the passenger headrest speakers (they were blown). I decided on the Boschmann 3" speakers:

So with the clock ticking the first step is to unzip, then unscrew the speaker frames:

ImageImage

Simple task to unclip the speaker cables, but pulling them through the base of the speaker frame was quite difficult. There is a rubber bung holding them, which is a tight fit:

ImageImage

Quick test to make sure everything works:

Made felt-tip marks using the base of the speaker, looked like I wouldn't need to cut the outside edge:

A simple craft-knife worked a treat:

The magnet in the base of the speaker quite nicely attaches to the metal seat back.

From start to finish it took about 20 minutes. Then it was a quick spin around the block to test it out. Decided Joy Division would be an appropriate test, and the speakers didn't disappoint. Will order a set for the driver's side now. Got them from www.etechnology.co.nz for just $30

amaurosisbrown

Post by amaurosisbrown » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:51 am

I've fixed the photo links. Sorry about that.

CordedBowl
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by CordedBowl » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:24 pm

Excellent writeup and nice detailed photos :D!

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Did you attach these to the seat other that the magnet holding onto the metal?
warrior

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:40 pm

only the magnet/metal connection.... there is no need for any more as it all snugly sits together once you have the cover back on.

I would just like to point out that when you cut the foam out, if you cut a chunky wedge out of each piece then you can use those pieces in the outside corners to support the speakers and stop them splaying out. (ie keep them facing forward)

thanks for the guide and good photo's ... I am sure this will help some people :)

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:14 pm

Trust me the speaker only being held on by its magnet and the plastic cover is not enough. They have srew holes in the brackets for a reason.
warrior

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:16 pm

warrior wrote:Trust me the speaker only being held on by its magnet and the plastic cover is not enough. They have srew holes in the brackets for a reason.
How come? Most of the stuff I've read reckon the fit is tight enough to not really worry about it if you cut the foam so they're tightly packed in.

I've wondered if there is a possibility of damaging the speakers though?

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:23 pm

It does not matter how tight they are, remember is is only foam, when you start putting sound through them they WILL vibrate. They need to be screwed into something. I did this and just made up some simple alloy brackets, It made a world of diffrence
warrior

MrGrey
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by MrGrey » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:56 pm

I've wondered if there is a possibility of damaging the speakers though?
there's no risk of damage if you use the three steel straps behind the cone as your bracing points. I have found that even though vibration exists at the speaker magnet/seat frame point, I do not hear it. Besides, it will be mostly mid/high range sound coming from them anyway. (although an aluminum bracket is a great idea)

This is an awesome mod and highly recommended for anyone who has the OEM seats. To be completely honest, the awesomeness of headrest speakers is the reason I will never get aftermarket seats because I'm an audiophile and would rather have good audio over comfortable seats.

amaurosisbrown

Post by amaurosisbrown » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Today I drove 120k and the speakers sounded perfect, although there was no one in the passenger seat. Will be pretty simple to affix the speakers to the screw-holes from the originals. Will try that in the weekend.

On a slightly sadder note, I had someone reverse into my driver's door today. Boo. Dent and scratch the size of a basketball. Claims they didn't see it because it was too low. Tsk

CordedBowl
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by CordedBowl » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:08 pm

amaurosisbrown wrote:On a slightly sadder note, I had someone reverse into my driver's door today. Boo. Dent and scratch the size of a basketball. Claims they didn't see it because it was too low. Tsk
Aww man!

Bah, such a lame excuse though, a small/low car is still a car, and even small cars are large objects.

amaurosisbrown

Post by amaurosisbrown » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:46 pm

It's also bright blue! And I parked it on a residential street instead of a shopping mall car-park as I thought it would be safer.
The one good thing is the nose needs a respray, so will get that done at the same time

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”