Headrest speakers NZ new

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

Mr Revhead
Tentative sideways sliding....

Headrest speakers NZ new

Post by Mr Revhead » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:49 pm

Were these an option in the NZ new 1800s? (1993) Or not at all?
I was under the impression it would have them but no sound!
Haven't had a chance to check for wiring yet, more trying to work out if there is speakers in the seats or not
My gf has a cooler car than me :(

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:18 pm

there is a zip running around the top of the headrest
open it up and have a look if there are any speakers inside

Mr Revhead

Post by Mr Revhead » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:20 pm

Cheers for that tip. Will have a look 8)

Timmo
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Timmo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:26 am

Welcome to the darkside too Mr Revhead (I assume you're the Toyspeed version?) :twisted:
Ex: 1991 BRG NA6, 1998 White RS, 1997 Wine Merlot M Edition

Mr Revhead

Post by Mr Revhead » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:12 am

There can be only one :twisted:

Not quite on the dark side yet, only when she let's me borrow it! :lol:
But I am seriously looking at getting one next year

Snapfrozen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Snapfrozen » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:18 pm

Wow, a familiar face from the old days. Havn't been on Toyspeed since we used to do the old Albany meets at the bar there.. (Cant remember its name). Welcome! I've seen lots of 1800's without them, so assuming they were an option.

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:07 pm

My NZ new 93 1.8 had no headrest speakers, though there was space for them and there should be plugs coming through the carpet under the seats.

Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Mr Revhead

Post by Mr Revhead » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:19 pm

Ok, managed to nick it while she was at work (it's now been sideways :P )
Couldn't find any wires coming out of the floor.

I assume all they do is split the L/R signals into two and run one of each to each seat? Looks like I'll have to run some wires myself. Going to be tricky without her knowing!

kuroneko
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by kuroneko » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:06 pm

I thought each seat/headrest has it's own left and right speakers? At least that's how mine's configured. Would be more balanced I'd imagine.

Mr Revhead

Post by Mr Revhead » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Yeah that's what I mean, split the L/R in to two signals each, one set for each head rest. So 2 Lefts, 2 rights.

kuroneko
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by kuroneko » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:17 pm

Oh yea I get it now.

I tried having both speakers in passenger seat hooked up to left-rear speaker, and both drivers speakers hooked up to right-rear. But it didn't sound good, was unbalanced cause the speaker was so close to your head.

So just went back to passenger with left + right rear, drivers with left + right rear.

What are people running for more bass? Sub or boxed 6x9?

Ugh... sorry for hijack :oops:

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Sub in boot....works good
warrior

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:16 pm

warrior wrote:Sub in boot....works good
How do you get around bootspace? I had to remove my spare in my old one. Trying to come up with an alternative for this one..

tomtikki
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by tomtikki » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:21 pm

warrior wrote:Sub in boot....works good
Have a look at 2LOW2C setup, a pair of 10's behind the seats!

I dont want to lose the meager amount of boot space i have so it was the path i wanted to go down but my current rollbar means a cant box the parcel shelf like he has to fit them so ive gone back to the drawing board and have been looking at 6.5" sub's for behind the seats.
Both Kicker and JL are supposed to be pretty good.
With that in mind 6x9's may fit but i havn't started looking into it yet.

stooji
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by stooji » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:54 pm

subs in an mx5?

really?

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:18 pm

Interested in peoples experience with smaller subs. My roll bar, car weight concerns (and age :lol: ) limits my sub options too.

But my new stereo could do with some bass boosting. Door speakers are not cutting it. Especially with a loudish exhaust system...

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:26 am

I have a 12inch box in the boot, yes no spare wheel just a spray can. I am 44 years old so it is not a huge booming base but it MAKES the stereo. Very hard to get any real bass without one im afraid. Did anyone here buy an MX5 for the boot space anyway? NOT ME!
warrior

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:29 am

There is always the low lying sub boxes. Jaycar do one and so do fusion (amp built in) they would both mount behind the seat on rear panel quite easly. The would give plenty of bass being right behind you. I think they are both 8 inch from memory.
warrior

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:57 pm

Replacing the factory door speakers with some quality Pioneer 2 ways was most certainly an improvement (along with a better head unit of course.), plus some JVC 4 inch speakers in the drivers headrest - some foam trimming required.
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:50 am

I've settled on a set of Kicker components in the front doors, they're currently driven by the head deck but with an amp they should really wake up. The headrest speakers are a pair of 4" speakers in each seat. I'm actually really happy with this setup, it's loud as hell with the hard top on, and with the roof down is perfectly adequate when you crank it.
I find with the roof down you wont hear a lot of bass, it's the mids and highs that really stick out.
Cool sunroof bro...

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:48 pm

a few days ago I replaced the blown stock headrest speakers with JVC 4" speakers and I have to say, for a job that took 30 mins from start to finish it really was worth the investment.

I just followed this walkthrough: http://www.mazda-madness.co.uk/2010/11/ ... -speakers/

If your MX5 doesn't have headrest speakers then you are really missing out :wink:

the lowend bass is kind of missing at the moment tho' so I have ordered a fusion 8" underseat sub and will see how it goes next week once it arrives and is installed/tuned.

unsure whether to have it mounted behind or under the drivers seat or to possibly put it in the end of the passenger footwell. Most probably going with mounting it behind the drivers seat.

if you want a decent underseat sub, many of the reviews i have read rate "BOSS" pretty highly but sadly money is not unlimited so I settled on the fusion which at just over $200 is pretty good bang for your buck. The Jaycar 8" retails for $159 and is good but not amazing.

heres a comparison review between the jaycar 8" and the old fusion 8" (the fusion has since been replaced with an upgraded model but the review still gives a decent comparison)

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/t ... -a-review/

=)

mazline

Post by mazline » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:05 pm

Don't forget some NA 1800 model from japan also had mid bass speaker mounted in the back the seat itself !.
Is actually possible to get a NA with 10 speaker factory audio !!
Here to help with any needs for your beloved MX5/Roadster.

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:29 am

A quick update for reference sake.

I made a pair of boxes for a set of 6x9's on the parcel tray (I wanted them removable for track days and racing). I'm about to solder in some headphone extension leads (male to female) cut the wire in half and have one end on the stereo side and one end on the speakers. This way I can simply unplug the earphone socket plugs to remove speakers as required.

The sound is vastly improved and while a sub would be a nice addition, for my purposes the door speakers and the 6x9's are more than adequate.

tomtikki

Post by tomtikki » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:43 am

Sounds like a good plan, Jaycar sell some nice easy connecters for sub boxes if the headphone plug is to much trouble.
Chuck some pictures up when ur done, the quest for more bass is always a talking point for Mx5ers eh!

-im halfway through a blatant (& rough) ripoff of the 2low2c setup but with a pair of 8" instead of 10", just need a decent headunit to tune it right....
I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

MrGrey

Post by MrGrey » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:25 am

The fusion 8" underseat sub is excellent and provides more bass than I need 8)

but it all really comes down to what you are after, if you want good quality bass to increase your personal audio pleasure then I recommend an underseat sub but if instead you are interested in sound off's and drawing attention to yourself with huge bass then I would suggest an actual sub and amp combo as an underseat will generally always be out performed by a traditional combo set of a similar monetary value.

Myself personally, I am self centered and am purely interested in what is good for me...... besides, the way I see it, we already drive cars that do not require any audio assistance in order to turn heads :twisted:

-=edit=-
I made a pair of boxes for a set of 6x9's on the parcel tray (I wanted them removable for track days and racing).
^^ this is a good solution if you do any timed events as one thing I forgot to mention is that the underseat sub I purchased is a weighty little sucker.

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”