Electrical gremlins - Sorted

Discussions about MX5 Alarms, Car Stereos, Lighting, Batteries or other Electrical related issues

Moderators: Growler, jif, SLYDIT, brownie

siren676
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Electrical gremlins - Sorted

Post by siren676 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Went to start my car at work tonight only to find that the dash backlight and park lights werent working :(
Brakes, headlights and warning lights on dash were working though so was able to make it home.

Found a 10A fuse broken under the dash (not sure which one, cant read japanese).
Swapped in another 10A fuse which blew as soon as i switched the park lights on.

Any ideas where to start looking?
Have checked all exterior bulbs on the same circuit as the parkers and only found the front left parker blown(removed it, tried fuse and it still blew)
Last edited by siren676 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

punkoutnz
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by punkoutnz » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:54 pm

Will be a short somewhere in your rear lights or possibly behind the fuse panel. The dash lights don't work if your rear tail lights aren't working so the easiest bet would be to look at the tail lights before anywhere else.
Cool sunroof bro...

r3spct
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by r3spct » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Wire a bulb in where the fuse would go, solder a couple of wires onto a bulb, and use a blown fuse as a plug. Then you can trace the fault until the bulb goes out without going thru a mountain of fuses.

siren676

Post by siren676 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Will try again tomorrow once ive got some more fuses. Going to remove all the bulbs on the park light circuit and reinstall them 1 by 1 till i find whats causing it

siren676

Post by siren676 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:03 pm

Finally found it after 2 hrs of testing. Turns out it was the illumination wire in the stereo loom, the previous owner had just left it out in the open with a small strand of wire hanging out which was grounding on the stereo bracket.

Now have 2 new park lights and 16 or so spare 10A fuses :lol:

Return to “MX5 Electrical, Audio, Alarms & Electronics”