EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS - How to use the forum to email feature

Look here to see what is happening with the forum and when new features are added.

Moderator: zorruno

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS - How to use the forum to email feature

Post by zorruno » Thu May 11, 2006 6:14 pm

Updated 26 May 06 with a bit more detail about changing subjects and tidying your emails before sending.. (z).
Updated with more info 10 April 07.. (z).

This forum has been set up so you can either perform all your discussions on this web based Forum site, or alternatively receive and respond to discussions via email (just like the MX5 Club discussion list used to do). You can even perform a combination of both, and chop and change whenever you like. THIS DOES NOT WORK EXACTLY LIKE THE PREVIOUS NZ MX5 EMAIL LIST HOWEVER (but is better...!), so please read the following to understand how to send and receive forum posts correctly by email.

How does the email subscription work?
Once you have registered to join this forum, click on the ‘My Email Lists’ button in the menu. Select with a tick box which particular forum topics you wish to receive via email. From now on, you will receive anything that is posted on this web forum (in the topics you selected only), straight to your email account. You can even respond to anything you receive (except for a few forum such as Announcements, which are one way only) and it should appear back in the correct forum topic as a response. You can even start a new topic, by sending an email to the correct MX5 Forum email address.

e.g. Send an email to horsepower[at]mx5forum.co.nz. The email will appear in the Technical, Power Forum as a new topic for everyone to see, and also be emailed out to everyone who is subscribed to the 'horsepower' forum in their email subscriptions.

Can I sort my email when I get it?
Yes! We can’t tell you how to set up your particular email program to sort your email, but it should be pretty easy. All the forums have a different subject tag when sent out e.g. “[MX5Chat]” for the off topic chat list and “[MX5Power]” for horse power discussions. Note that they all start with “[MX5” too, so it is easy to sort the email however you wish and put it in different folders automatically. Look on the heading for each forum, or on the 'My Email Lists' page for details of what the subject tag will be for each forum.

Note also that all forums will be received from a different email address too, e.g. electrical[at]mx5forum.co.nz for the technical forum discussing MX5 Electrics, Alarms and Stereos. You can have your email program sort on these too if you wish.

Finally, emails from the administrator, the forum team, or directly generated by the forum software generally will have "[MX5Admin]" in the subject line.

What should I watch regarding the subject of my emails?
Please DON'T change the subject of an email when you respond UNLESS you are starting a new topic. The topics are sorted by their subject, so when you reply you MUST use the same, unmodified subject so that your reply goes back in the correct topic in the forum website. The rules for subject changing are:

1. If you are replying to a thread with something relevant (ie. you are carrying on with the existing conversation) then you MUST NOT fiddle with the email subject (lest the forum software become confused. Leaving 'Re:' in place is fine though)
2. If you are starting a NEW thread/conversation in the SAME FORUM topic (e.g. the Power forum) then you MUST use a new subject (or create a new email preferably).
3. If you are starting a totally NEW forum TOPIC, create a NEW EMAIL and send it to the CORRECT FORUM ADDRESS (e.g. electrical[at]mx5forum.co.nz )

What should I watch regarding the layout of my emails?
Due to the way emails are formatted on the forum website, it is MOST IMPORTANT that you trim & tidy up your email replies before sending (remove the previous text, or at least everything but the relevant previous quote), and don't top post. See item 4 here: http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=85.

Return to “NZ MX5 Forum Announcements”