question about auto trans

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

insanesam
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

question about auto trans

Post by insanesam » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:39 am

hey,

have just bought a 1992 mx5 (auto). noticing that when i change gear from park to reverse or park to drive that the car 'lurches' a fair bit - sort of jerks into gear. much more than i have ever experienced in any other auto, but not breakneck sort of stuff. no clunking as such. not sure if it is just because it is a rwd... how smoothly do they normally shift in when sitting on level ground?? all gear changes when driving are perfectly smooth expect 1st to 2nd which is slightly rough. from what i can find seems like the atf probably needs a change. is coming out looking a bit brown (not bright red) on the dipstick but does not smell burnt. have service history for the last 2 years and it seems as though it has not been done in this time - unsure about before hand. not really sure how these normally feel to drive!

cheers :)

WideOpenThrottle
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by WideOpenThrottle » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:36 pm

I would replace that auto oil pronto! & see if your dash light problem clears up as well.
1989 NA 1650
1998 NB 1800
2005 NC 2000
1990 Landcruiser
Surfboard
Push-bike
Hiking shoes

Brainflex
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Brainflex » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:04 pm

get a trans flush done which will change the filter and replace all the box oil. The jerking will be because of a sticky solenoid. New oil should cure this.

mazline
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by mazline » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:32 pm

WideOpenThrottle wrote:I would replace that auto oil pronto! & see if your dash light problem clears up as well.
This^^^
You did not give details in the other thread you started,May well help.
Change the cat probe as well before pulling the cat
Here to help with any needs for your beloved MX5/Roadster.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”