NA Suspension refurbish etc

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Mikkels
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Mikkels » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:53 pm

Guys my 1990 needs a 21st birthday present so had plan to look at new shocks, suspension bushes etc. Took off the front wheels and was immediately distracted by the horrendous state of the left disk. Bad grooving of the rotor, pads on last legs. Also noticed the sway bar bushes had a 2 mm gap at the front. So had a bit of a look around and noticed both rubber boots on the A arm ball joints are perished. There does not seem to be any play in the joints. One shock at front is damp but not a huge leak happening yet.

A call to Ross has me the big front disk upgrade and sway bar bushes. A call to Mazda has me the ball joint boots coming. Still deciding on the shocks to use and bushes.

Over Easter I put the sway bar bushes in place and experimented getting the ball joint apart. The forked tool has done that with ease and given boots already split not issue using it. Any shock recs? What about bush replacement? Special tools needed?

Awaiting the pad mounting bracket to do brake upgrade. Did pads in rear and freed up the rear adjusters in process. Also bled new fluid through clutch. Did replacement brake fluid for 20th birthday.

Happy birthday little red
1990 NA with a 1.8 conversion SOLD
2005 NC Limited edition 2470/3500 6MT

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:27 am

when you replace your bushes you will need an oxy acetelene plant to burn the old rubber bushes out but thats basicly it

if your in auckland i can do this for you

do you have the energy suspension bush kit?

as for shocks i have a spare set of factory ones if you want them

cheers

cole

Mikkels

Do you really need to do the bushes

Post by Mikkels » Sun May 01, 2011 9:38 pm

I'm not looking for anything other than that new car feel. There is a bit of contoversy out there about the bebefit of replacing them. Some of the aftermarket ones seem to create harshness. That would be very annoying as the job is not trivial.

Are shocks enough? How long do the stock shocks actually last? Mine at 200k must be a bit sad I would have thought.

Cole has kindly offered me help which is appreciated. Just not sure what direction to go.

Don
1990 NA with a 1.8 conversion SOLD
2005 NC Limited edition 2470/3500 6MT

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Mon May 02, 2011 10:27 am

id say the bushes is by far the best thing you can do to make your car drive like new the harshness is not overly noticeable with urethane
anyone that has done it will rave about it

PLSEME
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by PLSEME » Wed May 04, 2011 7:19 am

Yip done it ...... LOVE IT :D

Energy Suspension bush kit
KYB shocks
Whiteline swaybars
Scientists now foresee the future will be much more futuristic than they first forswore

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”