NB brakes on a NA

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

NB brakes on a NA

Post by Donovan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:34 pm

I know this has been covered in the forum in other places, but I am not sure whether it was just the front brakes that were covered, rather than rears.

I have at last fitted my 6pot big brake kit from Goodwin racing. It came with larger rotors for the rear (273mm), but just using the standard calipers, so it only using about 70% of the rotor surface for braking. Seems a bit of a waster, so thought about replacing the rear with a larger 1800 set of a NB (I think the 1800 NA is the same caliper??)

So is this going to be possible, since I have to worry about the handbrake cable as well. Anyone done this before? I believe the 1800 sport calipers are larger again (can't remember the size at the moment) but I think they might have been just a little bit too big for the rotor.

Keith Jones
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Keith Jones » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:28 pm

My 4 pot Big Brake Kit from Goodwin only uses the standard 1600 rear pads as well, and the brake balance has been perfect, even under full race braking. If they have done their homework properly with the 6 pot kit (which I would assume they have knowing Brian), I wouldn't change things. Going to the 1800 pads on the rear could overbrake the rear, and then you'd have to put in a bias valve to reduce the braking on the rear.
I'd suggest leaving it until you've had a chance to test the brakes at speed.

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Talked to Brian before I did the post, to see whether I could get the bracket to fit the NB calipers. He didn't say it was a bad idea, but then again, he didn't say it was a good on either.

I was actually thinking it might help balance out the braking, as with the stock suspension settings, under real heavy and sudden braking it would really load up the front, the back would go light and the rears would lock up. Have fiddled around with the suspension settings, and think I have got it sorted out, but my thinking was that if the rears where providing a bit more braking assist, that the front would load up so much, or is that the wrong train of thought?

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:28 am

I'm now using the version 4 Goodwin 4 pot kit with 1800 rear caliper and it is working fine. Had the first serious use on the Targa Bambina last weekend and the brakes were brilliant.

Note that even the 1.8 pads don't cover the full disc surface. Most of the improvement comes from the greater leverage applied to the disc with the pad being further away from the wheel centre.

One thing I noticed with my kit was that the cap screws that Brian supplied to attach the new front bracket to the upright seemed a bit short. (edit, oops, that should read caliper to the new bracket) They did not seem to be long enough to engage fully with the thread insert in the aluminium bracket. I replaced the screws he supplied with ones that were slightly longer. I had to grind about 1 or 2mm off the end to ensure clearance on the disc but I felt a lot happier that there was full thread engagement in the bracket.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”