suspension suggestions

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Ants
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

suspension suggestions

Post by Ants » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:11 pm

I am currently considering whether to replace my shocks and springs with newer and better stuff. My car is a daily driver, so I won't be doing any high performance driving in it although I do like a spirited drive every now and then. :wink:
Having looked through miata.net, Flyin Miata do a good range of shocks/springs etc, but I have no idea how they relate price-wise to NZ, and whether we have any set-ups just as good that don't need to be shipped over.

I would like the car to sit a little lower and ride a lot better. It is a 1996 VR-A with the original Bilsteins, having covered 140,000km. FM seem to recommend the Tokico Illuminas with their springs (of course). I liked the look of their Stage 2.5 suspension kit which includes new bumpstops.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?dept=77

Any suggestions out there?

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:52 pm

You can get Konis and KYB from George Stocks and Autolign do Tein and Bilstein. Both companies can also do springs. It really comes down to your proposed use and budget. Autolign can also rebuild Bilsteins.

If you are looking at importing, remember that you have to add freight and also customs clearance and GST. You are also dealing with a company in another country. Having said that, I have dealt with FM on several occasions and found them easy to deal with and very responsive.

There is also a wealth of suspension information on http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/.
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:51 am

how about these?
http://www.mx5forum.co.nz/ads_item.php?id=232

i have a set the same and they work really well

Euen

Post by Euen » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:21 pm

The only problem with platform adjustables is that they have to be "complianced".
TG Sports, classic roadster - modern technology. NA1800, 99 head, 11:1 +2mm Wiseco pistons, Link LEM, Alloy f/wheel, JR headers.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:16 pm

seeing that you have a '96 then the konis with adjustable perches will also need springs too.
AS the NA's progressed in years mazda raised the ride height, so a late model 1800 will need to be on the lowest setting on the konis to look any good...only problem is then that some people have had issues with parts of the driveshafts/cv boots rubbing on the spring perches. Using a shorter spring will mean you can use a higher perch setting and avoid any rubbing.
i am very happy with my konis but better springs are a definite must buy also.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”