205/55R15

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Gravelben
I have stars and not afraid to use them

205/55R15

Post by Gravelben » Fri May 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Just wondering, is there any reason other than speedo inaccuracy to avoid putting 205/55R15 tyres on an MX5? I realise gearing will be slightly higher but have the power to make up for that. ;) Works out as 4.7% higher rolling radius than a 185/60R14 or 3.4% higher than a 205/50R15.

Reason I ask is my brother has some almost-new rubber of said size sitting round doing nothing after he wrote off the car they were on, which could be convenient for me :wink:

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

205/55R15

Post by poison » Sat May 08, 2010 11:33 am

I see no issue, but if you are off roading at all (Gravel?) the wider tyre
will be that little more loose (front and back). Otherwise all good, but
might look funny.

I assume you've been here
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

[Posted via external email]
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Trevor
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Re: 205/55R15

Post by Trevor » Sat May 08, 2010 2:01 pm

Gravelben wrote:Just wondering, is there any reason other than speedo inaccuracy to avoid putting 205/55R15 tyres on an MX5? I realise gearing will be slightly higher but have the power to make up for that. ;) Works out as 4.7% higher rolling radius than a 185/60R14 or 3.4% higher than a 205/50R15.

Reason I ask is my brother has some almost-new rubber of said size sitting round doing nothing after he wrote off the car they were on, which could be convenient for me :wink:
The wider tyre will result in the wheel being not properly supported laterally, with the result that the handing will be rather sloppy. In order to sharpen the handling on my family car, I have done the opposite and gone down one size in width and up one in section, with pleasing results.

However your dilemma is understandable. As you wish to scale down in size, you may be able to do a trade with a used tyre outfit for a set of the correct size, particularly if you give them the job of changing the tyres. :)
Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I was happy to warm my cold feet in a cow pat, but I detest bull$hit. LOL

Gravelben

Post by Gravelben » Sat May 08, 2010 5:09 pm

I currently have 195/50R15 on the front and 205/50R15 on the back (on 7" wide wheels), would prefer having the same width at both ends but they're ok - sorry if my post made it sound like I was still on 14", just put that in for comparison.

Rears are getting quite worn though (funny how that happens ;) ) and the fronts are kingstars, so before too long I'll be replacing all 4 anyway!

Was more concerned about whether the higher profile might rub on the suspension, suppose I should just walk outside and have a look myself to see how much clearance there is.

sprsta
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by sprsta » Mon May 10, 2010 5:25 pm

you wont have any clerance issues im sure. the shocks are miles away

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”