adjustable arms? & cage

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

soulfader
Tentative sideways sliding....

adjustable arms? & cage

Post by soulfader » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:14 pm

are there aftermarket parts available for camber and toe arms for rears? preferrably adjustables

how much should i budget to make a little cage for na6ce? i heard that open tops require a cage and harness

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:52 pm

There is already adjusment available, though yes it is possible to get more adjustment with offset bushes and/or aftermarket wishbones, but this is a pretty 'hard core' mod...and if you are just starting out with track prep, you have a multitude of other things to attend to first IMHO. Check out Flyin Miata web site and 949 Racing website for adjustable items, but make sure you are sitting down!
Allow $800 - $1000 for a 'half' cage...depending on what you want to do by way of competition you may or may not need one. Discuss with your local car club circuit chief scruitineer..
Good luck.
Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

soulfader

Post by soulfader » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:52 am

the main reason was so that i can get everything certed in one hit :)

eg. coilovers, arms, cage, seats, etc

certs aren't cheap any more.. :(

and as with track days, i will be only attending open track days every now and then kind of thing.. most likely 3 to 4 a year max

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:02 pm

Hi...
Can I suggest that youy may not need to get cert at all.
Reading your posts, you are on a tightbudget (aren't we all?) and as you intend to do 3 or 4 track days a year, coilovers and aftermarket wishbones should be waaaay down your list. A limited budget should be spent elsewhere on the car.
For your intended use (unless you are planning an engine swap or forced induction) you can set up your car without cert. I was faced with a similar dilemma, so opted to buy another set of factory seat rails and mount my Momo seat to these rails. It takes all of 5 mins to swap seats over for the track and another 3 mins to completely remove the pass. seat. My race harness shoulder belts are permenantly around the harness bar and hang down behind the seat. The factory seat belt mounting bolts have been replaced with race quality eyebolts so my factory inertia belt is in place and my Willans lap belts clip in in seconds. My car has no probs with wof and requires no cert. Proper race seats permenantly mounted are a pain in the a... in an MX5 as a daily driver.
All this could of course be old hat to you, and you may be an experienced competitor, but on the other hand you are also new to this particular car. There is a lot of info available thru this forum from people with more developed cars than mine and more expertise. You may find you can save yourself a lot of grief (and money) by getting the appropriate advice before heading off in a chosen direction....All you need to do is tell people what you have, what you are trying to achieve and any budget constraints and that advice will be freely given. My initial thoughts when I see ' tight budget, 3 or 4 track days per year, aftermarket wishbones and coilovers' is that you have got your priorities all wrong when it comes to MX5 prep.
Please accept the above in the friendly spirit in which it is offered.

Chers
Ian :)
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

soulfader

Post by soulfader » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:12 pm

thanks for your advice :)

my mind is pretty much made up on coilovers set up though.. i know there are a lot of good shocks and springs around but.. i just cannot resist having coilovers for my cars :oops: i won't get wishbones though

coilovers mean certs regardless so i thought i should get other things certed as well. tyring to spend once not more :wink:

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”