Late arrival needs advice on road tyres

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

OldEnough
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by OldEnough » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:33 am

Hi, at the advanced age of (mumble) i have finally introduced my old bones to a 2000 1.8 MX. I regularly do longish road trips (eg. Wairarapa to Gisborne). I do not see myself as a fast driver (though still enjoy the corners). I would appreciate any comments on good road tyres, with stickability, of course, but also not too noisy or harsh. Tyres at purchase are Kingstar K106 205/45/R16, which do seem to be helluva noisy.. Thanks

Stevo
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by Stevo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:31 pm

I've got Bridgestone RE-01's on mine and they seem to be a great tyre. Couldnt really tell how noisey they are as my exhaust note and stereo drown out any tyre noise, (just the way I like it lol). Cheers Stevo
98 NB Evolution Orange

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:51 pm

Toyo T1R (assuming they are available in your size).....no need to reinvent the wheel (oops).
You will not be disappointed. Great allrounder and superb in the wet. With a performance alignment you will be set.

Ian
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Paul Murray
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by Paul Murray » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:03 am

Great choice of car to enjoy your journeys with. I have found that sometimes tyre deals available can introduce another brand with very similar handling and noise levels (higher or lower). I changed from Bridgestone to Dunlop Direzza DZ101's and have found the Dunlops to be as good as the Bridgestone and IMO have a slight edge in the wet. Haven't had any noise issues with either tyre and end up changing them anywhere between 35-38k. I too trip around a fair bit on country roads and the car is used daily on motorway and around town runs.

Blues Boy
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by Blues Boy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:15 pm

Another vote for the Toyo T1-R here. While they will not last as long as some of the other tyres, the grip that they give you in the dry and the wet will always put a smile on your face.
Dave

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”