D.I.Y Rim repair

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Shermio
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

D.I.Y Rim repair

Post by Shermio » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:10 pm

Hmm I might be taking on this task soon... Im going to follow the ideas used by another forum

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=373892

and see how it turns out... I'll post the pics when I do :D
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:05 pm

Pretty inspiring! 8) How do you find all these links??? It's a good read. It opens up so many awesome options to make an MX individual. And great for dealing to curbing.

I would be concerned about stone chips though, we have so many crappy roads with loose gravel here and there, and thus a far greater risk of stone chips than the city boys of the USA. Also the original silver paint finish on alloys is almost certainly a 2 pack paint (paint and hardener) which gives them a really resilient finish. Whereas anything out of a can will be enamel or acrylic which will easily chip.

This should be less of a problem f you painted them the exact same colour as stone chips would probably not be so noticeable, but if you went for a full colour change any chips will really show up and could make the wheels look tatty within just a few months. :cry:
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Shermio

Post by Shermio » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:50 am

Yeah Im not too sure on the Enkei wheels I have near the nuts there is a little paint chipping... so I would say over time the paint will chip, I might as well try to make it better.... I have had good results with the dulux clear coats, you just have to let it sit and harden for about a week or two... :) Hmmm might need to find some alternative wheels for that period :D

I want to go for a darker silver maybe even body colour... or a bit darker than that... I'll keep you guys posted :D
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”