Tyre Pricing - Eden Tyres, Mt Eden Auckland

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Wed May 23, 2007 10:24 am

Eden Tyres is a relatively new tyre shop on Mt Eden Rd (Akl), and Greg the Manager is happy to provide good tyre pricing to NZ MX5 forum and MX5 Club members. The following prices include GST and fitting/balancing. He also has a wizzy alignment machine - bring you own specs if you like.

Click for Eden Tyres Details.

Toyo Proxes T1-R
$190 195/55-15 (3.1%)
$173 195/50-15 (-0.3%)*
$173 205/50-15 (1.5%)*
$195 205/45/16 (2.3%)*

Bridgestone Potenza Adrenaline RE001
$193 195/55-15
$196 195/50-15*
$207 205/50-15*
$242 205/45/16* (Available June 7)

Yokohama S-Drive
$203 195/55-15
$198 195/50-15*
$207 205/50-15*
$201 205/45/16*

Yokohama Advan Neova
$218 195/50-15* (runout - only a few left)

Notes:
- Obviously this is just a sample of tyres available for an MX5, in no particular order of recommendation
- I have listed percentages beside each tyre size. This is the percentage that your tyre circumference will be different to an original stock 185/60-14 MX-5 tyre. The lower the %age, the closer to stock.
- The items with * are a generally accepted MX-5 tyre size. They may not be the closest to stock size, but are close, and generally commonly available.
- Errors and ommissions excepted
- No affiliation with Eden Tyres, except that I know the manager, and his fridge generally has beer in it.
Last edited by zorruno on Wed May 23, 2007 10:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
(z)

simple
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Post by simple » Wed May 23, 2007 10:49 am

I feel unloved! What about getting some sample pricing for a tyre to go
on the original standard 14" rim?

(BTW: I'm quite proud of my 14" - no need to hassle me just because you
have an inch or two more)

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Re: Tyre Pricing - Eden Tyres, Mt Eden Auckland

Post by zorruno » Wed May 23, 2007 11:50 am

simple wrote:I feel unloved! What about getting some sample pricing for a tyre to go on the original standard 14" rim?
You could phone him...on 6306996 ;)

So that you don't feel unloved... I've done some more research for you.

He can do a Bridgestone Grid III 185/60-14 (until there are none left) for $172, and some Toyos such as the T-PT, CF1 (both $132), Toyo ES100 $165. But I don't know anything about these Toyos, or how high performing they are.
(z)

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Wed May 23, 2007 4:31 pm

There would seem to be no listing included for a T1 -R in 195/50 x 15...surely one of the more common fitments on NBs and other similarly sized wheels? (yes, as you can gather, I run them, and they are magic)

Cheers
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Wed May 23, 2007 5:38 pm

Ian wrote:There would seem to be no listing included for a T1 -R in 195/50 x 15...surely one of the more common fitments on NBs and other similarly sized wheels? (yes, as you can gather, I run them, and they are magic)
Yes there is. It is right there in the first post....

... OK... I admit it, I just edited my post :roll: I listed one of the tyre sizes incorrectly. The 195/50-15 is the stock 15" tyre.

Sorry about that ;)
(z)

GrubbyMX
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by GrubbyMX » Wed May 23, 2007 9:42 pm

"He can do a Bridgestone Grid III 185/60-14 (until there are none left) "

Is this cause he's not geting anymore or are you inferring they are no longer being made?

Cheers
Keith

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Wed May 23, 2007 10:02 pm

GrubbyMX wrote:"He can do a Bridgestone Grid III 185/60-14 (until there are none left) "

Is this cause he's not geting anymore or are you inferring they are no longer being made?
Hi Keith, it is the latter. Unfortunately they are being replaced by the new Adrenalin model (which also replaces the S-03).
(z)

GrubbyMX

Post by GrubbyMX » Wed May 23, 2007 10:08 pm

Bu**er
Keith

badcf4
Tentative sideways sliding....

Post by badcf4 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:00 am

GrubbyMX wrote:Bu**er
It is a bu**er however I can confirm as of 1 minute prior to this post there are in fact 181 bridgestone grid 3's(nationwide) of that size available.
Now if it was a more common size for a directional tyre, say 195/50/15 205/40/17 etc etc then it would be cause for concern but in this instance it would be pretty safe to say that there will (note this is not a garauntee) be stock available for sometime in that size.

Btw my names Greg and Im the manager of Eden Tyres :D
If you have any other questions feel free to drop me a pm :wink:

*edit* I should also make note that the toyo t1r in 195/50/15 is currently out of stock(short term) as I just orded the last set for a member here !!!

Shermio
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Shermio » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:14 pm

Hmmm anyone heard of the Firenza tyres? A mate of mine has said that they are pretty good for around the city with some spirited driving...

Firenza ST-08 $85+GST... 205/45/16

Seriously thinking...

Or maybe some toyo Proxy 4 but don't know the $
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:04 pm

Were they stolen 'off the back of a truck'?

Ya usually get what ya pay for.... :o
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

Shermio

Post by Shermio » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:15 pm

Well no the Firenza's are $159 retail but I have mate's rates.... just wanted to know the quality... apparently a lot of drifters use them so that can mean both good and bad... Hmmm...

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:50 am

Exactly!
Compare with the 'mates rates' prices for the same size tyre at the top of this page, in a 'known quality' tyre/pattern...
Suggested/recommended retails have become a bit meaningless when it comes to tyres, in my opinion. Real world prices are more useful in determining if something is value for money, always taking into account your intended use. In saying that, MX5s are not hard on tyres (generally) and deserve the best tyres that the owner can afford in order to take advantage of the inherent handling/roadholding that the car possesses. Almost daily I see MX5s with 70 series tyres, or retreads or heavy heavy 17 inch wheels.....and shudder.

If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is!

badcf4

Post by badcf4 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:10 pm

Firenza tyres are japanese made and were a very good tyre for the price and were dubbed "the silent performer" as they had very low noise in the low profile range.

However they have just redesigned the pattern of them with wider channels for water dispersment and the people that distribute them nationally tell me they are now receiving feedback about them being noisy.

For the price you mentioned its not a bad deal at all (doing myself out of buisness here :roll: ) but im imagining that is a cash and carry price ?? so fitting etc would be added to that price ??

Shermio

Post by Shermio » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:37 pm

Thanks... They price quoted it the newest model ST-08 and it is a cash and carry price so fitting and balancing is about another $40 on top of it. The thing I see is that if they are made in China Im worried about quality control, my mate who's selling me these is also waiting for a set for his Subaru which is in the 300KW+ club featured in the Performance Car Mag and he doesn't skimp on things like tyres Im just trying to get a gauge as to if these are indeed worthy tyres... If not then I shall look at investing in some Toyo proxy 4s. I know my driving style is easy on the tyres cause at 44km Im still on the OEM Bridgestones...

Firenza is from the same group who does Falken, Dunlop, Continental and Toyo Tires, and have just gotten Sumo brand...

I kinda like the tread pattern in the ST-08s Hmmm decisions.... Argh! I used to have a set of Falken Ziex and they were great... too bad they don't make them any more :(

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:56 pm

Oops, sorry...your firend is going to put $100 tyres (or thereabouts) on a 400+HP car and he "doesn't skimp on tyres"?????? :o

poison

Post by poison » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:18 am

Shermio wrote:Firenza is from the same group who does Falken, Dunlop, Continental and Toyo Tires, and have just gotten Sumo brand...
That's like saying VW is great because it's from the same group as Porche (on that note I'd just like to say I do happen to like some VW's :) so perhaps a poor example... )
Shermio wrote: I used to have a set of Falken Ziex and they were great... too bad they don't make them any more

Dude give me some of those drugs..... Falken be serious... :lol: Falken are Falkin crap crap crap, a performance tyre for maybe a total fat ass in a 20 year old Falcon or Comodore.

Stick with the proven, Toyo's and Bridgestones etc. No risk, no regrets.
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Shermio

Post by Shermio » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:50 am

That example was to purely say that even if a weekend drag strip racer is ok with putting those tyres on his car then it can't be that bad... I don't drive my car hard, I don't do burnouts to warm up the tyres... My car is stock and I use it as a cruiser...

So unless someone has had experience and have had them disintegrate or have slid off the road while travelling at 30km/h then this is just all talk isn't it?

The reason for me starting this post was to ask if anyone had knowledge about this brand not "Hey I have a big mouth let's just get on the bashing wagon"

Yes I did have a set of Falken on my old car and they did what they were meant to to, they held well in the wet in a front wheel drive car, and they were quiet I didn't see that as a problem... The Bridgestones on the other hand are hard and they suck in the wet...

The reason I asked about Firenza was BECAUSE I didn't like the quality of the Chinese tyres and were not sure where Firenza were made and was doing some research. I have heard that they are good tyres and I have heard that they are the best bang for buck. However, I have seen other Chinese tyres that are totally crap and are not made well. I wouldn't touch brands like Triangle, Clear and the likes because I have heard horrible stories about them and they don't have a large company backing them...

Just wanted some info not a lynch mob. I do my research before buying anything and this is just the process that I go through to weed out the crap from the gems...

I'm also looking for some proxy 4 for a good price if anyone has contact let me know :D
Last edited by Shermio on Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badcf4

Post by badcf4 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:41 am

I wasnt aware that firenza had shifted their manufacturing to china :?

If so id avoid them, to be honest since goodyear started manufacturing the gsd3 in china they just arnt the same tyre, they feel a little bit different and the most noticable thing is they take more weight to balance them......suggesting quality control isnt up to the same standard as when they were produced in germany.

as for firenza being under the same blanket as toyo etc......where did that information come from ?? They are certainly distributed by different companys here in New Zealand and I used to work for the original Importers of them (firenza) without any mention of toyo affiliations or the like. Dunlop is distributed by south pacific tyres (as well as goodyear) Toyo by Nationwide acessories(hamilton) Falken by OTR .........in fact the only tyres that are distributed by the same people (mc phail group) as Firenza are the other tyres mentioned......clear and triangle :lol: Two of the most horrible brands know to grace our roads.

I guess their distributors here dosnt mean they arn't affiliated ,but having worked in wholesale tyres/wheels Im sure I would have heard about this.

you wouldnt have a link by chance ??

badcf4

Post by badcf4 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:50 am

actually after a little research it seems that falken/sumitomo(sumo?) used to have an intrest in dunlop tyres but sold that interest to Goodyear.
Toyo is its own company(toyo tire and rubber) ,continental(continental corparation) and so forth...

see here

sounds like a sales pitch maybe ???

Im not trying to "lynch mob" you either just wanted to ensure the facts were in fact facts :)

Shermio

Post by Shermio » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:16 am

Apparently the tyres I mentioned are all distributed under Stamford Tyres now...

http://www.stamfordtyres.com/about-us/index.html

Nope Greg you have been great with the info Thanks!

As for the Firenza being made in China, I am still doing research but I have reached a 80/20 that they are indeed now made in China... I have also heard about the Goodyears now requiring more weight to balance them :)

badcf4

Post by badcf4 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:11 am

hmmm, interesting that.

It seems they do distribute those brands but I belive that is to the stamford retail stores across asia as opposed to the rest of the world.

You learn something every day :wink:

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:01 am

Shermio...
I support you when you say that 'your Bridgestones' are hard...assuming you have OEM Turanzas or similar ...I too have had the same experience, especially as my examples were 5 yrs old! Performance Bridgestones fall into a totally different category.
Poison is overstating his opposition to Falken...although I am the first to admit, I have never used them! I would however, based on extensive research on the net incl recommendations from respected US miata tuning shops, consider the Falken Azenis RT-615 which is used extensively in the US when a combined street/autoX tyre is required, particularly when shaved.
Because someone who destroys tyres doing burnouts uses a particular tyre is no recommendation in itself...hell, if I was doing burnouts for the sake of impressing people I would use anything that was round and black and CHEAP!
When you are out 'cruising' (as most of us SHOULD be doing..on the open road) your car is in contact with our sometimes dubious roads by 4 palmsized footprints. Rounding a corner in the wet at 100kph with a 200ft drop into the river beside you (and NZs mostly non existent armco barrier there as a backstop), you owe it to yourself to have the best possible tyres on a performance car - which your MX5 undoubtedly is.
My final post on this subject (I can see you rolling your eyes... :) ...stick to a tried and trusted brand and compound/pattern. There is little point in trying to reinvent the wheel here... (sorry for the appaling pun, people)

Shermio

Post by Shermio » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:46 am

Hey Greg, have you heard of the Michelin MXF? got any? and at what price for 4 + Fit and balance? for 205/45/R16 :D Cheers!

RD5T3R

Post by RD5T3R » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:45 pm

Same goes for the Hankook Ventus HRIIs please and what pressure is recommended

Cheers

Stu n Viv
RD5T3R
1998 BRG

[Posted via external email]

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”