Powerfull smell from front wheel / disc area

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

Bouncinbob
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by Bouncinbob » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:09 am

Hi chaps just joined from the UK, can any one help / point me in the right direction. The better half took a trip for a few days and came back complaing about a nasty niff in the car. It appears that after a reasonable run, the front off side wheel ( uk) starts to smell strongly of burning rubber/oil, there appears to be a lot of heat around, more so on this wheel than the others. Checked the spin of the wheel this morning all seemed OK so took it out for a fast 5 mile run, shore enough there it was. Any ideas, - wheel bearings ? all brake fluid seams ok, brake pads are ok. I think that the niff in the car appears when she opens the door to get out, possibly coming in from outside once the door is open, can not be sure about that.
Any Ideas would be appreciated :?:
It is a brave man that lies down in the path of the train of progress

Bouncinbob

Post by Bouncinbob » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:18 am

Well further news on this one, definitely bearings, most horrible grumblings this morning, is there any good technical advice on pulling the brakes and hub apart, we do not have a manual for the mark 2 :x

poison
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by poison » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:00 am

Hi Bob

It’s not hard to do, pull it apart and put it together the same way you don’t really need a manual but it’s a good idea. I think the best manual you can buy is on CD from ebay, http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZmx5alive For about 10 pounds you can get a CD with the factory service manual for your specific year along with wiring and parts diagrams. I bought one and am very happy with it, also he’s fast to deliver.

It’s a great deal, and you’re lucky in the UK, the pound is far stronger then our dollar and the Haynes manuals are much cheaper over there. Although if you have an NB (MK2) I’m not sure there is a Haynes manual, but the NA (MK1) 1800 one would be fine as everything mechanical is pretty well the same.

Cheers

Gazza

[Posted via External Email]
:twisted: Gazda in the white HOT Mazda :twisted:

Euen
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by Euen » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:16 pm

I seem to recall that the front wheel bearings are sold complete with the hub. You also need a large socket to undo the hubnut along with a very strong socket wrench as the nuts are torqued to about 160 lb/ft. From memory, the hub nut is about 29mm, but if you've done any work on a mini, you may still have a 1 1/8" socket which also fits snuggly.

Cheers
Euen

Bouncinbob

Post by Bouncinbob » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:37 pm

:oops: Thanks for the comments guys, a bit red faced over here, my wife slipped the car to the local garage who checked all calipers and found a loose spring in the rear near side (uk) , Still does not explain the perceived heat build up or the smell from the front off side As I understand it they checked that bearing out and all was OK. Watch this space.

I will take the idea up regarding the CD, sounds a snip. Looking through the haynes index of catalogues i could not find the MX5, but I thought that they did one

Thanks again Bob

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”