15" wheels

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

R LTD
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

15" wheels

Post by R LTD » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:11 pm

I'm having to replace my 15" BBS rims and am looking for advice on readily available alloy rims that will fit a NA. I have looked on TradeMe and most are 17" and above or fit FWD cars.
New Mk2 Mazda rims seem expensive at about $1100. Checked the local rim suppliers in Wgtn and Advanti is the most readily available rim at $700-800 per set. Would welcome any comments on quality, etc. Hart Racing and Volk are frequently mentioned as desirable rims but don't seem to be readily available. There are some Tiawan/Chinese rims available in the $650 range but aren't sure whether price is an indicator of quality.
Secondly would appreciate advice on offset. Have been advised by one supplier that one can fit a wheel in the 35-45mm offset range without any problems. Gives better handling and no problems with alignment.
Have seen some wheels with a 35mm offset that I like but uncertain other advice is that one should stay close to the 45mm offset.
Appreciate advice and direction I should look

MN
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by MN » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:30 pm

All the books I've read say stick with the 45mm off set or close to it otherwise it wears out the bushes.

I've got NB 15" on my NA and they're fine.

Check with MX5Mart as Ross often has sets available.
cheers,

Mark

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:05 pm

Mark is absolutely right....

On an NA aim for 45mm (factory for all models I think), otherwise 40mm or 38mm at the max.
This is both a wheel bearing AND a handling issue. Equally important is the WEIGHT of the replacement wheel (Mazda went to great length to make light wheels, so put heavy rims on at your peril...) If appearance is your primary consideration, then none of the above needs to be taken into account...which is why you see a good number of overwheeled/tyred MX5s on the roads, with wildly inaccurate speedos I would imagine.

My NA facelift 1.8 runs Enkei (Made for 2002 Mazda NB) 40mm offset 15 x 6 on 195/50 x 15 in place of the original 14 x6 fitted with 185/60. I think all factory NBs run 40mm offset from memory...
There is plenty of web site info on wheels

Cheers
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:50 pm

pop down to your local tyre place and have a look at the Enkei and Kosei range of wheels, thier 15" range of wheels are really nice and well priced. The racing hart wheels are good too.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”