Ultraseal et al

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

PeterH
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Ultraseal et al

Post by PeterH » Wed May 31, 2006 5:03 pm

As a new MX5 owner, my early thoughts (after applying the diode-headlights fix :D) turned to that space-hogging "spacesaver" spare.

First I considered the BMW approach -- repair-in-a-can with backup 12V pump just in case the can lacks oomph.

Then I found options like http://www.ultraseal.biz, who I gather have an NZ agent (though they weren't answering their phone today). I have yet to visit my local autoparts stores to see what's on the shelf in this line but:

* Has anyone used this, or similar in their babies?
* If not, any thoughts in general?

The idea is that the sealing solution (a) automatically and instantly fixes normal (non-blowout) punctures, for the life of the tyre and (b) extends tyre life perhaps 20% for various reasons.

In other words, if it's all it's cracked up to be, I can dump the space-saver, the jack and the tyre-iron and still be no worse off for 95% of punctures I'm ever likely to get. And for the other 5%, well, should it ever happen, there's always Roadside Rescue :wink:
cheers,
peter
-1990 Silver Roadster-

Shermio
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by Shermio » Wed May 31, 2006 5:15 pm

I have seen the green goo work before (I had a can of it in my old Merc A-Class, But was lucky not to have had used it)... But Im worried about the tyre being out of balance after that stuff is put in... the stuff still weighs a bit and it's mostly concentrated on one side... So I didn't give it another thought...

Im interested too if someone has any experience with this.
2002 Titanium Grey SE #8 of 15
Now With More Lights Than The Las Vagas Main Strip!

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Wed May 31, 2006 6:34 pm

I carry a can of fix-a-flat (no idea of brand) and an AA card.

The only time I have had a flat so far was quite expensive though. I got a slow leak a few years ago when driving toward Whitianga... on a Friday afternoon, long weekend. I was stupid enough to drive 'a bit further' on it, until I got to the garage. Tyre wrecked enough that it had a big bubble in it, and I only drove it a few hundred metres to a hotel. I then had to get 2 16" RE710s couriered from Auckland, overnight.... don't ask how much that cost!

If I had used the fix-a-flat, or called AA for a tow, I would have been fine.

here is a better link to ultraseal by the way, without all the annoying intro etc...http://www.ultraseal.biz/home1.htm.

Not that I think I'd use it in an MX5 though, after reading all the details.

cheers
(z)

PeterH

Post by PeterH » Wed May 31, 2006 6:52 pm

zorruno wrote:Not that I think I'd use it in an MX5 though, after reading all the details.
cheers
Er ok, but... why?
cheers,
peter
-1990 Silver Roadster-

Grant

Ultraseal et al

Post by Grant » Wed May 31, 2006 6:53 pm

The other option if you are not comfortable with the 'goo' approach is to
mount the spare underneath the boot floor. This way you still have the spare
and much more usable boot space. Many of us have done this. Of course it
doesn't result in a weight saving.

[Posted via External Email]
Red 2006 NC Tiptronic
FIX A PC

Grant

Ultraseal et al

Post by Grant » Wed May 31, 2006 6:58 pm

Forgot to add, this is also the NC MX5 approach. A local NC owner has
already had two flat tyres in their lovely new car. A bolt through the tyre
both times. Don't know if the supplied kit worked or not. Must remember to
ask them.

Red 2006 NC Tiptronic
FIX A PC

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Ultraseal et al

Post by zorruno » Wed May 31, 2006 7:58 pm

on 31/05/2006 6:52 p.m. PeterH wrote:
Er ok, but... why?
personal preference I suppose... but even after the glowing reviews,
colourful website etc, I wouldn't be that keen of chucking a whole lot
of goo in a perfectly good, performance tyre (unless it was my only
option to fix it). Maybe if the MX5 was my daily driver, and I didn't
have an AA card and a cellphone I suppose...

Oh, and "concentrated liquid gel formulation containing 24-superior
ingredients - contains only tiny strands of coarse surface synthetic
fibres that are stronger than steel when they interlock tightly
together" sounds too much like "Thousands of luminous spheres", to me ;)
(or maybe 'electric superchargers...'?!)

cheers
--
(z)

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Wed May 31, 2006 11:25 pm

Have tossed my NA's spacesaver (kept the jack...) and carry Tyre Pando (Repco have them). Haven't had a puncture in good quality tyres for years....
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

jif
Why yes, actually I do run this site.
Why yes, actually I do run this site.

Post by jif » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:50 pm

my spare has been relocated to the garage for over 5 yrs now... the only time I had a flat since then was in the sidewall after driving down a logging road (there was a nice waterfall at the end). So the green goo wouldn't have helped there.

The tyre dude appreciates being told when you've used that stuff, otherwise it poops on him when the tyre bead comes off... expect grumbling and dirty looks if it happens :P

uh anyway, I don't use either these days. It's a "adding-lightness" mod - Live dangerously!! :D

PeterH

Post by PeterH » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:32 pm

jif wrote:The tyre dude appreciates being told when you've used that stuff, otherwise it poops on him when the tyre bead comes off... expect grumbling and dirty looks if it happens :P
Indeed. Ultraseal is water-soluble so easy enough to hose off if they know it's there. And doesn't corrode rims etc. etc. From my fairly wide web researches I see there's still a lot of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Dismay) being spread about products like this based on earlier, pre-90s examples, and of course the more commonly-known tyre pandos -- it's nothing like them.

I've now done enough checking to satisfy myself, so ordered some for car and van. Each tyre will get about 400 grams worth which, spread evenly (and it does, and stays there), would barely make a difference in stock tyres. Plus I get to remove all that spacesaver, jack etc. mass and volume from the boot...

It's turned out to be quite different from the green Slime goo I can find at Repco; the more I researched it -- especially in reviews and comparisons, the better it looked. I was expecting the opposite.

Let's hope I'm still cheerful about it a year from now. :?
cheers,
peter
-1990 Silver Roadster-

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:43 pm

the better solution is to carry a tyre plug kit, which has 2 tools and some rubber plugs that get pushed into the puncture hole. i had a tyre fixed this way and it lasted 20,000 k's until they wore right down and were replaced.
there was a good thread on this in the Miata.net forums in the "NC" section.
i think ill get one of those as ive heard bad things about the tyre pando/goop things.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

zorruno
Black is the new black.
Black is the new black.

Post by zorruno » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:34 pm

SLYDIT wrote:the better solution is to carry a tyre plug kit
Can you still get those things? I don't see any tyre repair place using them any more. Are they like a like a round patch on a stick that you put in from the outside - or something different?

I used to work at a gas station/workshop and the plugs used to freak people out, as you basically removed the small nail or whatever then use a reaming tool to make the hole much bigger to fit the plug. Then chuck in some cold vulcanising fluid, stick in the plug and pump up the tyre. Driving on it for a while made the vulcanising fluid work and the plug seal properly. The best plug was actually just a rubber stick, that gets folded in half and shoved in the hole with a purpose designed tool.

The performance car crowd liked these as you could repair the tyre, without upsetting or changing the balancing as the tyre doesn't have to be removed.

Obviously if you had a plug kit, you'd need to carry a small compressor too...

Ben.Nakagawa

Post by Ben.Nakagawa » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:11 pm

zorruno wrote:Can you still get those things?
I've seen those review articles way back in OZ 4x4 mag.
It has some T shape tool and very strong rubber glue and stick plug.
Cover the rubber plug (stick) with glue.
Then you push this rubber in then pull out half way with the T shaped.
Then cut the excess.
It hard to explain by words, but I hope you get picture.

I think I saw similar one at Supercheap auto, but not sure.

You need inflate tyres after repair obviously.

Yes may other car is 4x4...
Ben

1989 Red NZ New (100746) - sub grade paint and many small ding

PeterH

Post by PeterH » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:52 am

Update:

Last weekend I added the Ultraseal to both our 4x4 van and MX5 (very easy in both cases) and have since done a couple of hundred kms of city and rural driving without any noticeable change in behaviour.

Just emphasising one point: to those who compare tyre pandos to this stuff, it's simply not the same thing -- best not confused by association when you're thinking about them:

Tyre pando = can of sticky substance plus compressed air, very temporary/low-speed etc, generally not water soluble so awkward for repairers. Ok to get out of trouble, if there's enough air in the can to help.

Ultraseal = says it is permanent protection against all but blow-out/tyre wall failures (and makes them "safer" if they happen), helps prevent the slow leaks that normally lead to air top-ups for tyres, distributes heat more evenly in tyre, lengthens tyre life by a claimed 25%, lasts the lifetime of the tyre, can be repaired if ever needed (water soluble), treated tyre can also be retreaded, rated to 150mph, over here it costs about $100-$120 per car. Haven't seen any bad comments from actual Ultraseal users in my Web searches.

So the claims are lower maintenance, longer tyre life, no punctures (unless tyre wall or > 1/4"), safer blowouts if they should arise. Very different from a tyre pando...

Slime = seems to be fairly similar in both claims and technology to Ultraseal, though possibly not as good. Cheaper in NZ, from Repco at least, but I've seen several "didn't work for me" messages about it. I think most of those were bike riders though, not drivers, FWIW.
cheers,
peter
-1990 Silver Roadster-

PeterH

Post by PeterH » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:38 pm

An update a decade later. The Ultraseal served out the life of the tyres without a problem. But the fixed cost of adding it deterred me from using it on the next set.

I also tried it in my van and it was not a success - fine in the rear wheels but much juddering - hence clearly a weight/distribution issue - in the front. Possibly a function of the larger quantity needed for the van's larger tyres.

For my current convertible I'm reverting to pando plus pump plus the option of a free service callout. While punctures are not unheard of (the van gets them every few years and the MX5 at least once since I abandoned Ultraseal), they are certainly rare enough these days that this strategy will do.
cheers,
peter
-1990 Silver Roadster-

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”