Chassis vibration/shudder

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

george.ene
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by george.ene » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:25 pm

NicF wrote:Put the rear up on axle stands and run it in gear. You'll be able to see any wheel wobble easily. If need be I have a set of wheels and tyres you can try out too, if you want to drive down to Fairlie.
**Update**
Hi Nick, did exactly as you mentioned before reading your post.. and well, I found something pretty interesting. Notice the wobble in the short axles?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... DrFMVaICYK

The wobble seems to be there while spinning it on jack stands with wheels on. If the wheels are removed, no more wobble but the short axles are visibly shuddering... which would make sense if there is nothing to create the viro effect.
What are your views?
Cheers,
George

2low2c
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by 2low2c » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:24 am

George you can not test it like that the hubs are at full drop and there for loading the cv's. You need to put the axle stands under the lower arm to simulate normal ride height .

Growler
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)
Yes. I might just know (Trusted Advisor)

Post by Growler » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:06 pm

I would think that the rotating mass on that small diameter wouldn't be enough the transmit the vibrations through the chassis.
Do you run aftermarket wheels? If so, do you run hub rings?
You can buy cheap plastic ones, but I would go with the aluminium ones instead (Or machine some up like I did).

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:14 pm

If you're careful when mounting the wheels you should be able to get them centred using the lug nuts, but you need to tighten the nuts down in incrementally in a star pattern and wiggle the wheel around so that it finds the centre.

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:49 pm

marcellarius wrote:you need to tighten the nuts down in incrementally in a star pattern and wiggle the wheel around so that it finds the centre.
I'd call it more of a plus pattern on the NA :D

george.ene
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Post by george.ene » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:29 pm

Just a thought gents (and yes, I am running aftermarket wheels), if anyone is free this weekend, they would be more than welcome to drop by my place to swap wheels for a run around the block. Stock NB wheels are one of the avenues I have not been able to test...I am in Hoon Hay, Chch. 021802644.

Cheers,
George
Cheers,
George

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”