Any large stock Mazda Rotors bolt on?

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

AnEnigma
Hey. They are NOT Training wheels.
Hey.  They are NOT Training wheels.

Any large stock Mazda Rotors bolt on?

Post by AnEnigma » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi everyone - an absolute noob here so sorry if I am asking any obvious questions. I just bought a 1989 with a turbo'ed 1800 5 speed. Its a road registered race car with a cage etc etc.

Is there a larger rotor and brake seatup from other cars that is a bolt on upgrade that can be done on the MX5? Looking to improve braking and wondering what lower cost options are available.

Apologise in advance for every and all dumb questions I may ask :D
Black '89 road registered race car. 1800 5 spd Turbo - a new toy

mazline
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by mazline » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:09 pm

Are you sure it has not been already been upgraded ?.
Just measure the outer diameter of the rotors front and rear first,Take it from there,Multitude of threads regarding this,Even on this forum.
Do a bit of searching.
Every one will have there own opinions and idea's once you tell us what the car has been sold to you with.
Here to help with any needs for your beloved MX5/Roadster.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:14 am

There been plenty of talk on this lately . before going to bigger rotors get some decent pads, cooling ducts. brake bias valve and master cylinder brace.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Donovan
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by Donovan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:14 am

If they are standard, cheapest way is to grab a set out of an NB, or if you can find some out of the US, NB Sport (02-04).

As SLYDIT said, as decent set of pads make a world of difference, along with a flush of the brake lines and putting some decent fluid in there, and possibly a BMC rebuild.

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Re: Any large stock Mazda Rotors bolt on?

Post by harlansmart » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:07 pm

Thanks for intro & nice to meet you, especially as you won't seemingly, be around too long :shock: but an obvious question, who built a caged blown 1800 race car w/no brakes & then sold it to you?

AnEnigma wrote:Hi everyone - sorry if I am asking any obvious questions. I just bought a 1989 with a turbo'ed 1800 5 speed. Its a road registered race car with a cage etc

2low2c
Need, more, 5-ing, time....
Need, more, 5-ing, time....

Post by 2low2c » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:39 pm

that car already has 1800 brakes you probably just need some better pads.

AnEnigma

Post by AnEnigma » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Thanks harlansmart. I do not believe they are "standard" brakes. I was told they have race pads but the rotors are kinda small and was just wondering if there was a bolt on option from any other Mazdas - am guessing there is not. The cars are so light though that I am guessing the standard rotos are not a problem at all.

The reality is I know next to nothing about these cars and very little about the one I just bought - so its going to be a learning curve for a while. Am picking up bits and pieces on this Forum and from the Miata ones but its going slow.

The button clutch in it fried itself 2 days after I picked the car up. No blame on previous owner - he probably had no idea as was pulling hard in 1st 2nd and 3rd with no sign of slipping. Having that rebuilt by Autoclutch into something hopefully much better - thanks to what I read on here.

I am only here to learn whatever I can and will appreciate any advice and help that is offered - thanks guys

Ian
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Ian » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:29 pm

Good advice in the first posted reply from Mark.
So.....did you measure them???
"Kinda small" doesn't help people to help you.... 8) :roll:
93 1.8,intake/ex mods,Megasqirt PNP,torsen ,konis,GC coilovers,Nitto-01,cage,sparco seat,Schroth harness.

AnEnigma

Post by AnEnigma » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:41 am

Thanks Ian.

Havent had a chance as its in the shop having clutch done and bearings in gearbox plus a few other odds and sods. Have been away for work so havent been near the car in a week thx

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by harlansmart » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Thanks again for the introducing yourself to the MX5 Forum, love your (guess) work.
AnEnigma wrote:wondering if there was a bolt on option from any other Mazdas - am guessing there is not. The cars are so light though that I am guessing the standard rotos are not a problem at all.

Now theres a man who knows a thing or 2 about brakes & I'll take this opportunity to say thank you 2low2c for doing a hot swap on my front pads Friday, certainly they (their remnants) proof enough the pads on our cars can take a hammering far beyond what they can survive.... a word that doesn't assimilate well with guess :D

2low2c wrote:that car already has 1800 brakes you probably just need some better pads.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:14 pm

if you are going to change pads, get some new rotors too. standard rotors are fine. some pads dont like old pad material on the disc so you dont get the best out of them. (carbotech are one such example)
a brake bias valve should be the first mod if it doesnt have one already...mx5's have too much front brake which makes the fronts overheat and obviously tend to lockup first. getting the rear brakes working to thier potential is a good first step.
RED '90 TURBO.

AnEnigma

Post by AnEnigma » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Awesome - thanks SLYDIT

I'll be sure to do that first thing. Will check out new rotors as well when I throw new pads at it.

Stuff like that is invaluable to someone new to these cars and I appreciate your input

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:51 pm

949 racing do some good stuff..

this wilwwod valve comes with the pipe adaptors to fit the mx5 hard lines..
http://949racing.com/wilwood-brake-prop-valve.aspx
RED '90 TURBO.

harlansmart
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by harlansmart » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:08 am

Easy to setup too, just have to guess which way to turn the knob.
SLYDIT wrote:if you are going to change pads, get some new rotors too. standard rotors are fine. some pads dont like old pad material on the disc so you dont get the best out of them. (carbotech are one such example)
a brake bias valve should be the first mod if it doesnt have one already...mx5's have too much front brake which makes the fronts overheat and obviously tend to lockup first. getting the rear brakes working to thier potential is a good first step.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”