Brake Pad ????

Discussions relating to MX5 Tyre choice, Wheels, Brakes Suspension components and other items to keep you going around corners, stuck to the ground or stopping on a dime.

Moderators: Growler, jif, Born_disturbed, punkoutnz

PLSEME
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Brake Pad ????

Post by PLSEME » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:48 pm

Hey guys its time for a new set of Pads & Rotors so just wondering what people recommend .... or what to stay away from :shock:

Ive got a 93 NA8C & i do the occasional track day but nothing serious, no engine mods or Turbro's so not looking to step up to the Wilwoods just yet.

:D

Thanks
Scientists now foresee the future will be much more futuristic than they first forswore

SkilletKid
I have stars and not afraid to use them
I have stars and not afraid to use them

Post by SkilletKid » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:36 pm

Stock rotors with no cross drilling etc (these reduce rotor and pad life and aren't needed for a mostly daily driven car).

My brother has been happy with his TRW pads in his NA8C but he hasn't tried them on the track yet. When we were bedding them in it took around 12 goes of hard braking from 110 to 10 before I started feeling fade. Just a data point, no indication of how it will perform now that it's bedded and run in. They are a bit dusty.

Hawk HP+/HPS is popular with the guys in the States, Racer Products in Avondale are a distributor. DTC-60s from Hawk are a more track oriented pad I believe but are supposedly a bit noisier.

YMMV
"Yes, you got that, 16 years of [MX5] ownership and you too can become the Obi-wan Kenobi of not giving a s**t." - Moti

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:33 pm

I've been running TRW pads on my NA8 for the last 18 months.

I've been reasonably happy with them once they were bedded in properly. They've been reasonably quiet and not excessively dusty.

I used them at a track day at Pukekohe; they handled it pretty well. In my last session I had a bit of brake fade, but the pads handled it fine. They've stood up to spirited driving too without glazing or fading.

My handbrake performance has been kinda bad, not sure if this is due to the pads having less cold bite or just my stretchy cables and calipers in need of love.

Skilfil
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Skilfil » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:28 pm

Decent pads and a brake fluid flush/replace will go a long way, makes a huge difference on its own.

Also handbrake performance in MX5's is notoriously bad, a lot of them need proper adjustment afaik. All 3 of mine have been laughable.

marcellarius
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by marcellarius » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:25 am

Skilfil wrote:Also handbrake performance in MX5's is notoriously bad, a lot of them need proper adjustment afaik. All 3 of mine have been laughable.
Absolutely. The rear caliper has an adjuster that sets the piston position for the handbrake and it must be wound back using an allen key in the adjuster on the back of the caliper. Once the new pads are in, it needs to be adjusted until the pads grab then backed off slightly.

It took me a couple of goes(okay, several) to get the rear caliper adjusted properly... I had the rotors machined and I suspect until the pads have bedded in properly it's hard to get the rear caliper adjusted right.

Which reminds me... if your brakes haven't been well serviced, it's possible you'll have issues with the rear caliper. My first brake job was a Sunday afternoon disaster... the adjuster in one of my rear calipers was seized and the thread stripped so found myself hunting for a rebuilt caliper.

And, probably most important: Clean and lubricate! Slider pins and bores, the metal shims that the pads slide on etc. A high temp silicone lube is good, copper anti-seize will work too; apply judiciously, don't use too much or where it will contaminate the pads/discs. Make sure the calipers can move.

4A-GE
I am quitting my job and going 5-ing

Post by 4A-GE » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:09 pm

I went on a recommendation and put remsas up front. Pretty neat pads. Shit the thing stops in a hurry. Very dusty though.

SLYDIT
Keep calm, Forum Moderator here.

Post by SLYDIT » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:20 pm

the guys in the states swear by the stoptech street performance pads from rock auto. they are pretty much the best bang for buck street /track pad and they are cheap as. i have a set sitting on my bench ready to go in my car when i get my act together.
viewtopic.php?t=11130
pair them up with brand new generic rotors from partmaster etc, just phone around for pricing, it varies a lot.
You should also get a wilwood brake bias valve to put more brake onto the rear as the mx is too front biased. Bias valves can be bought from 949 racing or flyin miata.

once yoouve done that then look at a master cylinder brace and then braided lines for a firmer and more consistant pedal.Again from 949/flyin miata/goodwin racing..
the master cyl brace makes a BIG improvement in pedal feel as it stops the firewall flex when really pushing the pedal.
RED '90 TURBO.
SCARING PRIUS DRIVERS SINCE 2002

Mad Kiwi
I count 5-s in my sleep
I count 5-s in my sleep

Post by Mad Kiwi » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:03 pm

I wish someone would come up with this famed Master cylinder brace. I would like one for the Wee1. :D

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:08 pm

Same, i want one too
warrior

PLSEME
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by PLSEME » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:22 pm

I brace mine off the strut tower brace.
Works really well, ill have to put up a photo to show how mine works .....
Scientists now foresee the future will be much more futuristic than they first forswore

Angreal
I have stars, you haven't. Deal with it
I have stars, you haven't.  Deal with it

Post by Angreal » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:33 pm

Weld on something like this should work and some jiggery pokery. Not that I'd have any idea how to start :p

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:47 pm

I have plans to make a batch of braces. they won't be bling but they ll work
RED '90 TURBO.

warrior
I only think 5.
I only think 5.

Post by warrior » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:10 pm

Do it!
warrior

4A-GE

Post by 4A-GE » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Prefer mine to look not bling. Matte black ideal.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:40 pm

ok maybe just a bit bling for you....semi gloss black. :)
RED '90 TURBO.

built4speed
See my 5 and raise you.
See my 5 and raise you.

Post by built4speed » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:41 pm

Id say 90% of mx5 cup cars run ebc yellows, they are a fantastic pad for the money.

SLYDIT

Post by SLYDIT » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:53 pm

theres plenty of good pads out there like carbotech xp10....axxis/trw ultimate.... just depends on what your budget is and how much track time your actually gonna give it.
RED '90 TURBO.

Return to “MX5 Suspension, Wheels, Tyres & Brakes etc”